Heavy Duty Mechanic
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. Together. We value our workforce and strive to offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale Base Metals is one of the world's largest producers of high-quality nickel and an important producer of copper and responsibly sourced cobalt. With headquarters in Toronto, Canada, and operations in Newfoundland & Labrador, Ontario, Manitoba, UK, Indonesia, and Brazil, we are delivering the critical building blocks for a cleaner, greener future.
Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine the critical minerals that power electric vehicles, build renewable energy solutions, and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
We have a proud history of mining in Manitoba. Our operations in Thompson, with two operating mines, is located in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous, and sustainable nickel producer.
We invite you to be part of our evolution.
The Heavy Duty Mechanic is integral for employee safety and Vale’s long term operating strategy. Members of this team will work at the T3 Mine to ensure the mobile fleet is effectively contributing to the production profile. Team members are also involved in the development of long-term and short-term maintenance initiatives, practices and procedures.
We are currently seeking Heavy Duty Mechanics to join our Maintenance Department in Thompson, Manitoba. This is a permanent position.
As a Heavy Duty Mechanic, you will be responsible for repairing, troubleshooting, adjusting, overhauling, servicing and maintaining underground mobile mining equipment. Your experience and skills will contribute to scheduled or emergency repairs, and preventative maintenance work to be done in the shop or field. Additionally, in this position, you will.
- Inspect, diagnose, adjust, repair, assemble, replace and test internal combustion, electric mobile equipment and electric/hydraulic production equipment and related systems.
- Perform metal welding, excluding pressure welding.
- Align with work safety policies and safety regulations.
- Report deviations to established procedures.
- Respond to emergency situations as required.
- Follow established Company Health, Safety, and Environment policies and procedures.
- The ideal candidate will have an Inter-Provincial Red Seal (Certificate of Qualification) as an Heavy Duty Mechanic.
- Minimum 4 years of industrial experience is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of Braking systems on large mobile equipment
- Demonstrated understanding of hydraulic systems on mobile equipment
- Experience installing, maintaining and repairing equipment (differentials, touque converters and power transmissions, air and liquid cooled DPU controlled diesel engines) are considered an asset.
- Experience with 24 VDC wiring/control systems
- Mechanical and hydraulic blueprint reading is considered an asset.
How can Vale grow your career?
The Heavy Duty Mechanic is a critical position that will allow the right candidate to grow their career in our mining and exploration activities in Canada. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary.
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, health, dental and disability plans)
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Flexible work arrangements.
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth.
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader.
- Employee Family Assistance Program.
- Online training and career development opportunities.
- Opportunities to advise and oversee the design, budget and construction of new mines and expansions.
Thompson is known as the "Hub of the North.” The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.
Include to Transform
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: November 30, 2023