Underground Mine Surveyor
About the Organization
Lake Shore Gold, a subsidiary of Pan American Silver, is located in Timmins, Ontario. The Bell Creek Complex, located approximately 20 kilometers northeast of Timmins, Ontario, consists of an underground mine and processing facility. Mineralization is associated with the Porcupine-Destor fault system within the Abitibi greenstone belt, with ore mined by narrow vein longhole stoping methods. Ore is then transported to surface via a modern one thousand eighty metre deep shaft capable of forty-eight hundred tonnes per day.
The Timmins West mine is located approximately 18 kilometers west of Timmins, Ontario, one of the world’s most prolific gold camps. Mineralization is associated with the Porcupine-Destor fault system within the Abitibi greenstone belt. The Timmins West mine is comprised of the Timmins deposit, the Thunder Creek deposit, and the 144 Gap deposit. All three deposits are interconnected by underground drifts.
About Timmins, Ontario
Timmins is a vibrant community of 45,000 residents that is a central hub for Northeastern Ontario. People can enjoy recreational activities such as camping, world class fishing, nature, and snowmobile trails. Direct flights to Toronto are available at the local airport via multiple carriers. There are many support networks in the community including the local Timmins and District Hospital, local sports leagues for children and adults (hockey, baseball, basketball, etc.), golf courses, both cross country and downhill ski resorts, a community pool, and many other community events that provide entertainment throughout the year - fairs, carnivals, concerts, and more!
About the Opportunity
We are looking to hire an Underground Mine Surveyor to join our Bell Creek Mine in Porcupine, ON., on a full-time basis. The schedule for this position is 5-5-4 rotation, 11hrs/day.
Please note that this role requires relocation to the Timmins area and is not a camp-based position.
In the role of Surveyor, you will be responsible for all mine survey tasks including maintaining survey controls database, surveying and maintaining underground excavation in Deswik, marking up development and production lines, installing wall bar/plugs for gradient control, preparing and issuing survey layouts, performing CMS of underground voids, and doing month end calculations. Other duties may include assisting with ventilation surveys as required. You will demonstrate the core values of Safety Health and the Environment and Code of Conduct.
Reporting to the Senior Engineer, or designate, the Surveyor will have the following responsibilities:
• Plan, organize and prioritize all survey tasks on a daily basis to ensure timely delivery of data
• Maintain and advance the survey controls and as-builts database underground and in Deswick
• Provide accurate and timely development and production mark ups
• Perform CMS for underground voids in a safe and productive manner
• Complete borehole scans to determine deviations from plan
• Maintain survey equipment and supplies
• Compile month end layouts detailing actual excavation advance and volumes
• Perform check surveys of mine excavations to correct control and as-builts database
• Communicate discrepancies from design to engineering and operations supervisors
• Assist with time studies, ventilation surveys, routine engineering projects as required
More About You
While our ideal candidate has the following qualifications, we welcome applicants who may not meet every criterion to apply.
• Completion of a two-year Engineering Technician diploma; Mine Technicians or Technologists preferred
• 1-2 years survey experience, preferably in a mining or industrial setting
• Knowledge of total stations, and proficiency in Deswik, AutoCAD, Excel and Word are required
• Amine experience considered an asset
• Ability to use and calibrate associated survey equipment
• Ability to communicate and collaborate with various work groups
• Ability to adapt quickly to changing conditions
• Valid driver’s licence
• Be committed to safety and practice good housekeeping
• Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada
As our ideal candidate, you are a motivated team player, and above all, you demonstrate compliance with all health and safety regulations.
About the Benefits
In return for your hard work and dedication you can expect to receive a competitive annual salary, as well as the following benefits:
- Mine Performance Plan Incentive (bonus)
- Company-paid extended medical, prescription, dental, and vision benefits
- Wellness Spending Account
- Company-paid pension plan with 8% company contribution
- Basic life/accidental life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Three weeks paid vacation
- Paid pregnancy and parental leave
- Relocation Assistance available for eligible positions
Don't miss out on this unique opportunity to take the next step toward your career goals with an industry leader - apply now!
To express your interest in this position please forward your resume to:
Lake Shore Gold - Human Resources
P.O. Box 1067
Lake Shore Gold is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect and we believe that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and all aspects of employment including the decision to hire or promote will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business requirements. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.