The Right Club for Your Personality

by

Choosing a club can be a challenge. Your school might have hundreds of clubs for you to decide between, and that can be pretty intense. Instead of panicking and boycotting them altogether, let us help! Below, we’ve put together a list of clubs you should try based on your personality type.

Introverts
If you’re an introvert, you may be hesitant to put yourself out there and join a club. But don’t let that stop you. Try looking into clubs where you get to interact with people but also where you can work independently. A cool option is your school newspaper. You get the chance to be part of a team while also having the opportunity to contribute individually. You’ll also get to choose which role you’d like to fill, with options such as photography, editing, publishing, or writing. A club like this can be especially useful if you’re in a communications program.

Extroverts
Chances are that if you’re an extrovert, you’d be comfortable in a leadership role. If so, organizations like student council could be right up your alley. You’d get opportunities to participate in the planning and execution of events on campus like BBQs, campus sporting events, and frosh week. If orientation piques your interest, it might be super fun for you to get involved as a frosh week leader. You’ll get to act as a mentor to new students as you help them transition into college life.

Artsy
For all the artists out there, you’ll have to narrow down your interests first before you choose a club to join. For example, if you’re into drama and acting, you could look for an improv club. Or, if your school puts on theatre performances, make a point to audition for them. For those who have a knack for the written word, connect with your campus slam poetry or creative writing club. It’s a great way for you to get feedback on your writing and find inspiration in those around you. Finally for the visual artist, a club centred on photography might be exactly what you need. You’ll get to explore your new city and find the beauty in the campus you call home.

Athletic
The university you attend will most likely offer you a lot sporting activities to choose from. You could of course stick to the classics like intramurals, especially if you have a specific sport that you love. If you’ve played at the varsity level before, it might be a great option to try out for your college team. However, if you’re looking for a different experience, opt for a sport you haven’t tried. Some of our favourite examples include squash, rowing, fencing, ultimate Frisbee, or Quidditch (for real). You might even find a new passion.

Adventurous
If you live for adrenaline rushes and are always up for something new, you’ll definitely be able to find a club to join at your new school. For instance, what about rock climbing? If it’s your first time, you’d get to learn the basics and then try climbing at various gyms and even different cities. Another cool option you could check out is a cycling club. You’d get the chance to go out and explore the city you live in with a group of people who have the same mindset.

Fashion-forward
Attention all fashion lovers — use your school’s fashion show(s) as your opportunity to get involved and join the planning committee. You can check out the different roles available and provide input on all aspects of the show from lighting to stage design to clothing. On the other hand, if you have an interest in making your own clothes, why not look into sewing or knitting clubs? Sure, it might seem like something that your grandma would join, but if you’re serious about making clothes, it can really benefit you!

World Traveller
Been around the world and have a passion for learning about other cultures? University is a great place to experience culture and diversity because your student population will consist of not only domestic but international students from all over the world. There are also many clubs that have multicultural influences. For example, maybe you’d be interested in salsa dancing, a foreign language society, or a bagpipes club (we checked, it’s a thing!)

Foodie
If you’re a foodie, chances are you not only love eating food, but you also enjoy learning about food. That’s why you should set your sights on a cooking club. You’ll get to learn a ton of new skills that will definitely come in handy in the kitchen as you begin living on your own. Some schools also have sustainability projects that include rooftop gardens. If you have a green thumb, maybe you’d like to try a gardening club. That way you can use what you grow in your recipes!

Do-It-Yourself
If you’re interested in a certain type of club and find out that it doesn’t exist, most schools will give you the tools you need to start your own. All you have to do is check their policies and procedures to make sure that you meet the requirements and voila! You’ll get to hang out with some cool people who share your interests.

Bonus Tip: It’s also worth noting that your program likely has its own designated club. If you’re having trouble deciding which clubs are for you, you can’t go wrong being part of one that’s associated with your program. It’s related to your education and you’ll get to meet students in your program who share a similar goal.

Taking part in student life activities can help you make new friends, add experiences and skills to your resume and give you a much-needed social life outside your academic schedule, so be sure to check out all the clubs and organizations available to you. Who knows, you might land your first job through an alumni from a club you’ve joined or started, so go out there and get involved!

Share