5 Top Tips For The Purolator Challenge

by

The new TalentEgg Challenges platform is here!

TalentEgg Challenges gives you the opportunity to apply what you’ve learned in the classroom to real-life problems. By submitting an egg-cellent solution, you can stand out to industry-leading employers, win prizes and even land a career-hatching opportunity!

Purolator wants top students and grads like you to come up with answers to the following question:

How can Purolator leverage social media and other communication platforms to build the company’s reputation as a Canadian innovator and customer-centric brand?

The student or recent grad who submits the best solution will have the opportunity to participate in an internship at Purolator and win a cash prize of $3,000! There are also two runner-up prizes of $1,000 each.

Even if you aren’t in the top three, Purolator’s Challenge is a great way to get noticed by Purolator, says Corporate Strategy and Innovation Manager Erik Ragotte.

“We will certainly take note of students who submit quality submissions even if they do not necessarily win the Challenge,” he explains. “If your submission impresses us, Purolator may very well contact you.”

Are you ready to find out how to crack the Challenge?

The Purolator Challenge

Purolator’s Challenge focuses on social media specifically because it’s a familiar topic for students and recent grads.

“We wanted to ask about something that students are interested in and knowledgeable about,” says Erik. “Social media is an area where businesses are still figuring out the best ways to capture all the value that can be provided.”

Don’t be intimidated if social media isn’t your thing, either. The Challenge includes “other communication platforms” on purpose. “You do have the opportunity to suggest ideas outside of social media,” Erik explains.

5 top tips

Here are some quick tips to help you complete each step of the optional template that Purolator has provided for use in organizing your submission.

Market analysis: Stuck at the start? Try checking out highly-visible companies on your favourite social media platforms. What are these organizations doing to drive their success?

Competitive analysis: Who are Purolator’s competitors? What are the strengths and shortcomings of their social media pages? (Hint: Canada Post isn’t a competitor – they own Purolator).

Purolator analysis: Now that you’ve done your research, it’s time to look directly at Purolator. “To tell us what to do, you have to analyze what we are already doing!” says Erik.

Key metrics: This is a chance to think critically about your plan. How will you measure its success and prove its value – particularly if it costs money? Keep in mind that in any organization, simply monitoring revenue may not be sufficiently accurate to assess the merits of a new initiative.

Idea: This is where it all comes together. If your idea is good enough, you could win a prize just by filling out this section alone!

If you want to use your own submission format, don’t be afraid to think (and work) outside the box! “Be creative and show us your talent,” says Erik. “If that means using your own template, do it!”

Just remember that the above information is a good sample of the well-rounded approach that will help you create a strong submission.

Assessment

Purolator’s team will be asking three key questions when they review your submission:

Creativity: Have you thought of something new and innovative?

Feasibility: Could your idea(s) reasonably be applied in the real world?

“As we review submissions from the challenge we will find the names of many different students who could make fantastic future employees for Purolator!”
Erik Ragotte, Corporate Strategy and Innovation Manager

Structure: Does your submission flow in a way that makes sense and tells a cohesive story?

While you’ll need to submit an original idea, it’s important to keep both feet on the ground.

“The hardest part of this challenge is keeping ideas realistic while still being creative and innovative,” Erik explains.

You may find it intimidating to put yourself out there and pitch your original ideas. Relax! Your submission is confidential and won’t be shared publicly.

Struggling?

If you’re having trouble getting started, Erik has some more advice to offer.

“In my experience, people who try to analyze each idea immediately after thinking of it tend to stifle their own creativity,” he explains.

Give yourself room to think without fixating on creating a perfect idea.

Erik recommends using a process of divergence and convergence to brainstorm effectively.

Divergence: Brainstorm as many ideas as you can and write them down. “Don’t evaluate them!” warns Erik.

Convergence: When you feel you’ve run out of ideas, start evaluating your thoughts based on the three elements of the judging process (creativity, feasibility and structure).

This approach will give you freedom to think creatively before focusing on finding a winning idea.

Erik is excited for the next steps of the Purolator Challenge.

“We will be able to leverage the great ideas that come out of this Challenge to truly impact our business. We are excited to see what Canada’s students can come up with!”

Get cracking!

Learn more about Purolator’s Challenge on TalentEgg Challenges here and submit your completed response here.

Share