Statistics Canada released new data on Friday indicating that employment for 15-to 24-year-olds increased by 23,000 jobs last month.
Gen Y employment increased by 0.5% in April, resulting in an employment rate of 55.4% overall.
Youth in Alberta benefited from the greatest gains last month with a 1.6% increase in employment, while those in Saskatchewan yielded the highest youth employment rate, at 63.3%.
Networking is a skill that is very under-utilized by Gen Y. You never know what connections and possible job opportunities are available from the people you know. Worried about sounding awkward? Check out these handy tips:
- How can I network if I don’t know anyone?
- 3 ways to make network connections
- How to succeed before, during and after networking events
- 6 strategies to make networking less awkward and more productive
Your resumé, like your cover letter should be catered to the position you are applying to. The more information you can provide about the job you are applying to, the better. Check out these articles for more tips:
- Career Launching Resumés: Focusing on your greatest assets
- Including short references in your resumé is unique and creates value
- How should you describe your work experience on your resumé?
- Recruiters’ Top 20 resumé pet peeves
All applications should include a unique cover letter. Why? Well, because it shows you have put some research into your application. Check out some tips from the TalentEgg writing team:
- Why you need to send cover letters and how they’re changing
- 20 employers tell us what they want to see in cover letters from students
Having good interview skills increases your likelihood at landing a great job. Conduct mock interviews with people you know to help improve your existing skills as well as help you practice for upcoming interviews. Check out these articles with tips on interviewing:
- Asking for and participating in a phone interview
- Most common job interview mistakes by students
- Build confidence by selling yourself in 60 seconds or less
- Ace behavioural interviews by drawing examples from internships and classes
Don’t forget to check out the career-launching roles on TalentEgg! We’re still posting summer jobs as well as tons of great entry-level positions every day!