Get meaningful work experience and travel in Australia with the Working Holiday Visa


Tell and Tourism Australia what you go Aussie for and you could win 1 of 3 VIP Aussie Adventures!

If you’re a student or recent grad who’s been bitten by the travel bug, but you’re worried about blowing cash that could be better on spent on “more important” things (like, say, tuition or rent), maybe you should consider working abroad.

The first question that probably comes to mind is, “Where should I go?” It’s important to be able to speak the language of the country you will be living in, so if you’re not at least bilingual, the options become limited.

A popular choice, not just because its citizens speak English, but also due to its warm weather, exotic wildlife (think cuddly koala bears and kangaroos) and breathtaking scenery, is Australia.

Australia also happens to have an awesome Working Holiday Visa perfect for young, college or university-age students or recent graduates.

These are some of the requirements:

  • You must be between the ages of 18 and 30
  • The Working Holiday Visa lasts 12 months, but you can only work for the same employer for a maximum of six months—you can get a second job, or you could use those additional six months to travel Down Under!
  • You can do any kind of work in Australia
  • If you’re more the academic type, you can study for up to four months on the Working Holiday Visa
  • Although you’ll be earning money once you start working, you can’t head abroad with an empty wallet: the Australian government generally requires about AUD$5,000 and may ask you to provide bank statements as proof
  • You’ll probably also need to purchase a return ticket in advance (or at least have the funds to be able to purchase a return ticket)
  • If you’ve always wanted to travel to places other than Australia, such as New Zealand, you can—you can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want during the 12 months

How to apply for the Working Holiday Visa

Now, before you start packing your sunscreen and beach towel, you have to submit an application for the Working Holiday Visa.

Applying online will allow your application to be processed more quickly, but if you’re old school, you can also submit it by snail mail. The fee to apply for the Working Holiday Visa is $230, but it’s a small price to pay for a year working and travelling abroad.

Once you’ve received the thumbs up from the Aussie government, grab your surfboard and camera and head to the nearest airport. Don’t forget to send me a postcard!

Tell and Tourism Australia what you go Aussie for and you could win 1 of 3 VIP Aussie Adventures! All it takes to get started is a 60-second video!

Three lucky Canadian post-secondary students or recent grads will each win a three-week VIP Aussie Adventure with an all-access pass to the hottest sites and destinations Down Under.

Make sure you mention TalentEgg in your application—the first five TalentEggers who submit their video and qualify for the contest will win a $50 gift card from Chapters and get the support of the entire TalentEgg community throughout the contest!

Click here for more information about the VIP Aussie Adventure contest!

About the author

Stacey Philipp is a recent graduate of the Media, Information and Technoculture program at the University of Western Ontario. She has had some amazing experiences that include building Habitat for Humanity homes in Miami, volunteering at an orphanage in the Dominican Republic, and a whirlwind backpacking trip through Europe. Stacey believes that whether you're roughing it or living the life of luxury, travel the world, enjoy wherever you are, and keep looking ahead. Your next destination awaits.