Don’t lose hope, 2009 grads

by

It seems like now that we’re almost a month into 2009, news outlets everywhere are trying to figure out whether this year’s graduating class will have a tougher time finding jobs than their predecessors.

The Globe and Mail’s article, “Class dismissed, and depressed,” suggests going back to school is the safest option and your competition depends on how many people there are looking to fill the same roles you are, with the same skills and education, and asking for the same salary.

However, Maclean’s, in “Graduating into the economic downturn” (via The Fulcrum), says although new grads may have to be less picky about what jobs they take and where they’re located, there are jobs out there. The article suggests all the scary numbers you hear on the news are mostly job losses that have nothing to do with university students and new grads.

Here’s why:

Students and new grads have great connections. Finding jobs is a lot easier for us than it is for someone who’s been in (or out of) the field for years and years. We know people who have worked or are currently working in the industries we want to be in and we’re constantly connected to each other thanks to the Internet and our cell phones.

Stay in touch with profs, keep an eye out for emails about potential jobs from your program’s departmental secretary, visit your school’s career centre once in a while (or at least check out the website) and, of course, register with TalentEgg for access to hundreds of meaningful job opportunities from Canada’s top employers.

It costs less to hire students and new grads than it does to hold onto more experienced workers in senior roles. Most of us are just happy to get a job and, given the current economy, we know that in most cases we can’t expect or demand huge salaries.

We’re especially valuable for employers who need to train their employees in new technology, software and online strategies because we’re not already stuck in our ways and we’re eager to gain skills which will help us maintain our careers in the future.

If you’re not graduating in April, take the experts’ advice and get as much experience as you can while you’re still in school and able to take unpaid work. Especially in rough economic times, employers love help from intelligent, passionate interns and co-op students.

Lauren echoes this advice as an expert source in a recent article published in Ryerson University’s student newspaper, The Ryersonian. Check out “Students anxious about careers” by Jodi Lai at RyersOnline.

Share
About the author

Cassandra Jowett is TalentEgg's Content Manager. She joined the team as a student intern in the summer of 2008, and since then her heart has never really left the Egg Carton. Cassandra is a recent graduate of the Ryerson University School of Journalism, where she earned a Bachelor of Journalism with a focus in writing and editing for newspapers. She has also written and edited for The Globe and Mail, The National Post, t.o.night newspaper and other publications.