Youth and Family Counsellor, Mobile Crisis Unit
About the Youth Services Bureau (YSB) of Ottawa:
Founded in 1960, the Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa (YSB) is one of the largest and most comprehensive non‑profit agencies serving youth in this community. More than 350 caring professionals work from 20 locations across the city to deliver a vast range of programs and services that support at‑risk youth and their families. YSB team members feel it a privilege to support more than 3,000 youth and their families each month in the areas of homelessness and housing solutions, mental health, justice, and employment.
Under the general direction of the Director of Mental Health and the immediate supervision of the Coordinator of Mobile Crisis, the Youth Worker provides immediate phone and mobile response, crisis intervention and short-term follow-up services to children and youth aged 0 to 18, and their families in accordance with the policies and directives established by the Board.
- Intervene on the phone and by home-based visits to manage crisis situations
- Conduct risk assessments, identify the level of urgency of the crisis, and develop safety plans
- Complete a thorough clinical assessment when required, develop recommendations regarding a plan of care
- Assess client need for and recommend when appropriate additional resources or multi-disciplinary support for client
- Complete data entry related to client intake and contact activities
- Provide information sessions and training sessions when required
- Participate in community development efforts
- Participate in staff meetings for the mobile crisis team; participate in appropriate related meetings in the agency and community
- Follows safe work practices as established by the Bureau and the Program. (The qualifications are appended to the job description and are not intended to be part of the job description)
- Diploma or degree in social work or related field.
- Minimum two years related experience in case management, crisis intervention and or counseling
- Demonstrated knowledge base in child and adolescent development
- Demonstrated crisis intervention skills with an ability to connect quickly with clients
- Demonstrated counseling skills working with children, adolescents and families
- Demonstrated ability to assess need for multi-disciplinary support or other resources
- Knowledge of community resources and relevant legislation
- Available for shift work
- Valid driver’s license
- Written and verbal fluency in both English and French essential
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: YSB values diversity. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community.
Accommodation will be made available for applicants with a disability throughout the hiring process. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply. In the event a qualified candidate is not found, candidates that do not meet the qualifications indicated on the posting may be considered.
Apply On-line with resume and cover letter on:
Please Direct Questions to: email@example.com