Career Counsellor / Job Developer
Career Counsellor/Job Developer (Full-time - Contract)
(Contract to March 31, 2019)
Location: 555 Richmond St. W
YES believes that employment is empowerment and the cornerstone of safe and healthy communities. YES leads the Canadian youth sector with innovative programs that empower disadvantaged and vulnerable youth to become self-sufficient contributing members of society.
Summary – The Position
Reporting to the Coordinator, the Career Counsellor/ Job Developer position provides employment planning, preparation and Job Development services for youth 15 – 30 years old. The client demographic is typically “at-risk” youth from vulnerable or priority neighbourhoods. Position responsibilities include providing employment planning and preparation services through group facilitation and workshop delivery. Additional responsibilities include assessments and assisting with building partnerships with employers in the GTA to create placement opportunities to facilitate work experience, and full-time employment opportunities at the conclusion of the program for youth.
Your energy and enthusiasm are boundless and you enjoy and thrive in a fast paced environment. You are detail oriented, creative and able to multi-task. You want to work with youth 15- 30 years old to provide group and individual employment counselling, information and referral, long-term employment opportunities and other related services. You want to work with employers and youth to create employment and apprenticeship opportunities. You thrive in a professional environment and are driven and welcome the opportunity to aspire to measurable targets.
- University Degree and three years of experience in counselling, group instruction and in sales, marketing and / or job development
- Qualified to administer and interpret assessment tools
- Knowledge and understanding of the target group, labour market information and resources in Toronto for youth and other job seekers.
- Excellent communication, negotiating and presentation skills
- Strong computer skills in MS Office, Internet, email and database management.
- Knowledge of the Toronto labour market, industry trends and apprenticeships
- Group leadership/curriculum/program development skills
- Ability to relate to socially and economically disadvantaged youth
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural/multi-racial workplace
- Previous experience and proficiency in a Job Development capacity
- Assess the client’s skills and abilities, employment interest and barriers to successful employment to determine employment needs and develop a plan of action identifying level of support.
- Clarify employment, training or career goals by exploring local labour market, education and training opportunities/resources, including apprenticeship opportunities.
- Provide orientation to YES services and programs and make referrals to other community services as required.
- Provide information on the local labour market, careers and occupations (including self-employment), employment preparation, job search and interview techniques.
- Facilitate regular group workshops in all areas of job search including, but not limited to resumes, cover letters, job search strategies and interview techniques.
- Develop employment opportunities and make direct placements with employers.
- Assist clients to find employment on their own.
- Determine need, suitability and readiness for subsidized on-the-job training.
- Follow up with clients, referring agencies and employers.
- Conduct presentations to agencies and the community at large on behalf of YES.
- Adhere to and maintain outcomes target as set by YES and ensure high quality customer service.
- Plan and organize job fairs, information sessions and employer presentations on a regular basis
- Maintain a diverse job bank, keeping all information current and well organized
- Develop training plans in conjunction with employers for the duration of all training placements
- Negotiate training contracts and stipends, ensuring all forms are signed prior to placement start dates
- Market YES services to employers and create job trials, job shadowing, mentorship and job placement/opportunities by: mail-outs, cold calls, telephone solicitation and any other method deemed appropriate.
- Monitor and maintain regular contact with employers to encourage successful participant job retention
- Conduct regular evaluations with all YES clients and employers to ensure excellent customer service
- Adheres to all YES policies and procedures and ensures confidentially is maintained on client, personnel, financial and agency matters;
- Represents YES at all times in a professional manner;
- Participates in regular supervision meetings;
- Attends all staff meetings
- Works cooperatively with other team members;
- Carries out any other duties, as required.
$50,157.37 increase after 6 months to $50, 757.86, OPSEU Bargaining Unit Position.
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week
If interested, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by October 17th, 2018, at 5:00pm.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the YES Accessibility policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. YES is an equal opportunity employer.