Career Counsellor/Job Developer
YES believes that employment is empowerment and the cornerstone of safe and healthy communities. YES leads the Canadian youth sector with innovative programs that empower disadvantaged and vulnerable youth to become self-sufficient contributing members of society.
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Manager and/or Coordinator, the Career Counsellor/Job Developer will intake, assess, cultivate and identify employment opportunities and secure job placements for both youth and adults in our employment programs. This position is located in the area of Keele and Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario.
Your energy and enthusiasm are boundless and you enjoy and thrive in a fast paced environment. You are very detail oriented, creative and able to multi-task. You thrive in a professional environment and are driven and welcome the opportunity to aspire to measurable targets.
- University Degree and 3 years related work experience including job development for both youth and adults, OW recipients and persons with disabilities
- Experience working with unemployed people who may have faced long-term unemployment, knowledge of disabilities, accommodation issues, supports and interventions
- The candidate is able to think ‘outside the box’, where creativity is used to reach goals/targets/problem solving and provide motivational concepts while maintaining the integrity of the program and agency goals
- Self directed and results oriented; able to work in a performance-based system with a proven track record and dedication to meeting targets and deadlines
- Knowledge and understanding of the target groups, labour market information and resources in Toronto
- Ability to establish and sustain a solid working relationship with employers and clients through a commitment of delivering a high level of customer service at all times
- Excellent communication, negotiation, interpersonal, written communication and time management skills with great attention to detail and pride in work output
- Excellent experience with MS Office and Management Information Software is an asset
- Market YES services to employers and create job placement/opportunities through: in-person solicitation and/or telephone contact, cold calls, mail-outs, and any other methods deemed appropriate
- Recruit, develop and retain a strong working relationship with local employers in order to effectively and quickly place clients from YES programs into meaningful employment
- Place candidates with employers that are appropriate to their employment goals and achieving required service outcomes
- Maintain a diverse job bank, keeping all information current and well organized
- Develop training plans in conjunction with employers for the duration of all training placements
- Negotiate training contracts ensuring all forms are signed prior to placement start dates
- Conduct regular evaluations with all YES clients and employers to ensure excellent customer service
- Conduct on-site visits to schools, businesses and organizations in the community to effectively market and promote our program
- Participate in job fairs, special events and corporate marketing efforts including presentations to employers
- Assess and identify program suitability for clients; refer to other services/interventions as determined through assessment
- Work with local referral agencies and partner organizations to qualify and accept referrals from caseworkers
- Determine the client’s skills and abilities, employment interests and barriers to securing and maintaining successful employment
- Provide support/monitoring/coaching to all clients and employers during job placements in order to encourage job retention
- Engage and empower clients to be self-sufficient in their job search
- Assist with pre-employment preparation and workshops as required
- Advise clients and employers on employment supports available through various sources
- Complete case management and service statistical documentation
- Adheres to all YES policies and procedures and ensures confidentially is maintained on client, personnel, financial and agency matters
- Represents YES at all times in a professional manner
- Participates in regular supervision meetings
- Attends all staff meetings
- Works cooperatively with other team members
- Carries out any other duties, as required
$50,157.37 (until March 31, 2019)
Career Counsellor-Job Developer
Send Cover Letter and Resume to the Manager
email@example.com by Friday December 14th, 2018 @ 4pm
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the YES Accessibility policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
YES is an equal opportunity employer.