Principal Mechanical Engineer, MMM - VAN00BK
We’re not just engineers. We’re a global team of data scientists, consultants, construction workers and innovators all working to create a better tomorrow. Every day, we help customers in energy, chemicals and resources get one step closer to solving our planet’s toughest issues. Climate change. The energy transition. Digital transformation. And how we can deliver a more sustainable world.
Whatever your ambition, there’s a path for you here. And there’s no barrier to your potential career success. For more information, visit Worley.com
The candidate will lead small to medium projects for the mechanical discipline and interface well with the customer and coordinate with the rest of the project team.
· Take responsibility for theâ€¯mechanical engineering and design team assigned to, and their design output to quality, cost and schedule requirements for specific projects.
· Support the technical integrity for the mechanical discipline.
· Ensure all engineering and design work performed adjusts to quality, cost, and schedule requirements.
· Ensure all design work is safe and carried out in a safe manner.
· Ensure all design work conforms to the codes and standards used by the customer, or to agreed industry standards.
· The candidate will be based out of Vancouver, British Columbia.
· Self-motivated individuals with a desire to solve complex engineering problems, show effective team leadership and communication skills will be ideally suitable for this role.
· Lead a discipline project team of engineers and designers as part of the mechanical team.
· Serve as project lead designer/engineer and supervise the work of other engineers, designers or drafting.
· Perform designing/engineering work/deliverables as part of the mechanical team.
· Selection and sizing of typical equipment used in Mining, Minerals and Metals projects such as crushers, sag mills, ball mills, different types of conveyors and associated equipment used for material handling and ore sorting such as bins, transfer stations, feeders, pumps, and other mechanical equipment.â€¯â€¯
· Development of flow sheets, P&IDs, GAs, equipment specification, data sheets and line lists.
· Prepare requisition package for vendor quotes or purchase including inspection and test plans applicable for the equipment. Perform technical bid evaluation on the quotes received and review shop drawings.
· Support other disciplines with required process and equipment data.
· Perform calculations to support design development.
· Take ownership of the 3D model as applicable to the project scope and integrate inputs from piping, civil/structural, electrical and instrumentation inputs to the model. Drive 3D model reviews and customer acceptance.
· With support of direct reports integrate the following design items into the overall mechanical design; Piping design and plant layout for Mining, Minerals and Metals facilities, piping engineering design such as pipe stress and pipe supports, HVAC design and fire protection design.
· Support proposals by developing the discipline execution strategy, estimating costs, writing proposal content, and presenting to customers. May be called upon to lead all or part of the technical proposal.
· May participate in project execution strategy and planning.â€¯
· Participate in bid clarifications, conduct bid evaluations, complete inter-discipline vendor information review and approval, and finalize other certification activities. Review similar documentation to assist others and review/authorize work done by direct reports.
· Seek input from knowledgeable sources, participate in constructability, operability, and maintainability reviews, and ensure that requirements are incorporated into engineering/design.â€¯
· Ability to interpret customer specifications.
· Coordinate/communicate with other disciplines and the customer.
· Support scope definition, estimation, and progress control of mechanical engineering activities.
· Support resource allocation based on project schedule requirements.
· Lead RFP, estimations, detailed engineering, and field support project activities.
· Familiarity of applicable codes and mining standards to support engineering deliverables.
· Familiarity of customer standards and ability to interpret customer specifications.
· Support quality assurance and verification role on engineering deliverables.
· Quality Assurance – Responsible for working, and getting team members working with you, within the provisions and guidelines of the Worley Quality Assurance system.
· Identify issues and problems, develop appropriate solutions.
· Assist and support junior/intermediate/senior personnel within the mechanical engineering team.
· Keep up to date with the latest developments and technical innovations in mechanical engineering.
· Resolve discrepancies between Worley and its customer's requirements.
· As required, act as the mechanical engineering lead on specific projects.
· Ensure the project scope is clear and that changes comply with project change management processes.
· Participate in relevant meetings, prepare progress reports, and follow required checking procedures.
· May be required to provide assistance and advise during procurement, construction and commissioning activities.
· Provide construction management support for customers as required.
· Liaise with customers, vendors, engineers, and other disciplines.
· Participate in the professional development of less experienced members of the department/team.
What you will bring
Education – Qualifications, Accreditation, Training:
· University graduate in mechanical engineering.
· Minimum of principal or lead level of direct mechanical design and engineering experience working on mining, minerals & metals on projects.
· P.Eng. designation.
· Leadership role supporting multiple small to mid-sized projects.
· Experience in Mining, Minerals and Metals industryâ€¯necessary.
· Preparation of specifications and contract documentation.
· Has a strong background in discipline work and a competent understanding of regulations, codes, manufacturing standards, and industry standard practices.
· Skilled in estimating project costs and writing proposal content.
· Experience working in project leadership.
· Competent in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Power point and Teams. Can navigate intranet pages, conduct searches, and retrieve information.
What we offer you
Providing an agile culture and challenging work opportunities results in a positive work environment. Our people enjoy competitive compensation packages and a fun, personal, collaborative and safe working environment. We value equal employment opportunity and are committed to promoting fairness, equality and diversity.
Our policy is to conduct background checks for all candidates who accept an offer of employment with us.
If you have the passion and talent to keep up, it's time to test the limits of what you can become. Find your future with Worley.