Junior Wildlife Technician / Technologist
Mikisew Advisian Environment (MAE) is a partnership between the Mikisew Cree First Nation and Advisian. Advisian is the independent consulting business line of the Worley Group, with more than 2,000 people in 19 countries. Advisian is a leading provider of Environment and Society (E&S) services in Canada. The E&S Service Line is a vibrant and growing team covering: Planning, Monitoring & Management (including marine, atmospherics, terrestrial, and aquatics); Society & Engagement; Regulatory, Permitting & Approvals. We provide a full range of environmental services with a strong reputation for technical excellence, innovation and quality of work within small project consulting and strategic advisory assignments through to large project engineering and construction management delivery. We pride ourselves on the integration of our E&S specialists with our engineering, construction management and project delivery teams. Our aim is to recruit, develop, and most importantly, retain the people who share our vision and strategy
We have a challenging opportunity for a full-time six month contract Junior Wildlife Technician / Technologist to join our dynamic team in Alberta. The successful candidate will be dedicated to a top-tier client’s oil sands operation and work on a field rotation schedule of 14 days on site (including mobilization and demobilization) followed by 14 days off. Accommodation while on rotation is at a camp near the client’s mine site.
Overall Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities
- Assist on site Professional Biologist with Avian surveys;
- Field related activities may include conducting nest sweeps, providing recommendations on mitigations (including buffer zones and preventative measures), marshalling work activities within buffers, and supporting the Bird Landing Mitigation Program;
- Assist with wildlife regulatory compliance requirements (monthly and annual reporting, permitting approvals, renewals, etc);
- Wildlife related data management skills;
- Assisting Project Managers in all aspects of project execution. Perform tasks as requested efficiently and accurately, using standard methods and techniques;
- Participation with on-site safety and associated documentation;
- Tracking and reporting on field activity;
- Preparing supporting documentation for reports, data checking & assessments;
- Travel as required for field rotations.
- Familiarity with bird identification or wildlife surveys;
- Class 5 driver’s licence;
- At least 1 year experience in either the oil and gas industry or mining is considered an asset;
- Familiarity with Argo operation would be an asset;
- Working toward certification (e.g. Technologist-in-Training or Biologist in Training with ASPB) or member of a professional organization such as ASET is considered an asset;
- Strong interpersonal, management and leadership skills;
- Strong technical writing skills;
- Self-starter and flexible team player;
- Ability to work within a team environment;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Comfortable working in remote wilderness settings;
- Ability to walk long distances in uneven terrain and adverse weather conditions;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; and
- Ability to meet work site vaccination requirements with respect to Covid-19.
Advisian (part of the Worley Group) offers a friendly, professional, dynamic and flexible work environment along with the opportunity to develop your career prospects within Canada and overseas.
We strive to be an industry leader in health, safety and environmental performance. Our vision is to achieve zero harm to people and assets, and zero environmental incidents. We select people who share our values, beliefs and commitment to this vision and who demonstrate the expected behaviours, competencies and performance associated with their prospective roles within the company.