Store Human Resources Manager
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of more than 410 stores nationwide serving more than 1.2 million customers each day. Walmart Canada’s flagship online store, www.walmart.ca, is visited by 750,000 customers daily. With more than 85,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada’s largest employers and is ranked one of the country’s top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada’s extensive philanthropy program is focused on supporting Canadian families in need, and since 1994 Walmart has donated and raised more than $300 million to Canadian charities. Additional information can be found at www.walmartcanada.ca, www.facebook.com/walmartcanada and at twitter.com/@walmartcanada
This role is designed to enhance Associate capability and inspire engagement while leading change and ensuring adherence to employment practices within the Stores so that Walmart Canada can sell products Canadians want at unbeatable prices.
- Champions Associate engagement and retention programs within the Stores, including conducting Grass Roots meetings, and directing Store Management to address issues where required. Supports Store Managers with the annual Associate Opinion Survey, analysis of the results and ensures the communication and follow-up of the execution of the ongoing action plan to drive higher engagement.
- Drives HR Process & Compliance in partnership with the Market HR Manager through support in training and follow-up related to HR Compliance Audits and confidential investigations. Participates in the on-boarding process for all new team members, monitoring and ensuring timely execution of the performance review and probationary/trial review process. Completes HR Compliance Audits and acts as a subject matter expert within the Store(s), staying abreast of current legislation, HR trends and best practices, to ensure compliance to policy and employment laws, and process administration. Directs Management and Associates related to remedial actions coming out of the HR Compliance Audit process.
- Provides HR Leadership in collaboration with Market HR Manager to implement and direct new Corporate HR programs and shares timely, cost effective best practices across the team. Confidential consultation with Market HR Manager on Labour Relations issues, serious disciplinary issues and concerns in stores. Leads and participates in and/or coordinates project support. Completes investigations regarding hourly Associates as required.
- Identifies and develops in store talent in partnership with Store Management to create store succession plans aligned to the overall business plan. Participates and makes recommendations in the hiring of all Assistant Manager Roles within their cluster. Monitors recruitment, job posting, application and promotion processes within the Stores. Utilizes community resources and builds relationships with external agencies / educational institutions to proactively source talent.
- Enhances Learning & Development through the IDP process including facilitation of tailored training within the store. Participates in Promotional decisions for all Assistant Management roles. Provides leadership, learning and development opportunities to Personnel Managers.
- Drives diversity by identifying and removing barriers for associates. Directs and ensures execution of company programs that support building diversity and is an advocate for all associates. Educates all Associates on diversity needs amongst store Associates and the external Customer base.
- Demonstrates Company values by providing Managers and Associates with timely, honest, specific and respectful feedback. Suggests, and/or delivers disciplinary action where appropriate. Builds and manages relationships with supporting functions within the Stores and Market.
- Actively supports change management at store level in partnership with Store Management and Market HR Manager, while building effective business relationships with store team to understand the needs of the store and assist in developing innovative solutions. Is an advocate for and acts as first point of contact for specified stores for the Open Door process, and models the necessary competencies consistent with Walmart’s Basic Beliefs.
Canada Walmart Division
- Practical, Technical and Professional Knowledge/Skills: Subject Matter Expert Problem Solving: Integrates Findings Purpose of Communication: Influencing Excellent communication skills with all levels of the organization (oral and written).
- Demonstrates professionalism in dealing with a large volume and breadth of highly confidential information and situations.
- Proven conflict management skills.
- Consulting skills to efficiently partner with, and/or direct the store management team.
- Act as a change agent – to deliver HR solutions in organizational change.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability to changing business conditions. Able to work as a team player.
- Action oriented individual, who demonstrates high accountability, solid judgment and decision making abilities.
- Minimum Education Required: College Certificate or Diploma
- Minimum Years of Experience Required: 3 to 5 years
Licensing & Other Qualifications
Frequent travel with occasional overnight travel required.
Walmart will accommodate the disability-related needs of applicants and associates as required by law.