National Senior Manager, Health and Safety - Fleet
Position Summary...This position is National in scope and the primary function of the National Health & Safety Sr Manager is to develop content of the new 5-year H&S Strategy (Execute Safely), drive and deliver the full Project Management and the Management of Change through the implementation and full roll out on a National scope. Develop and drive the WOW company health and safety programs, policies, and procedures across Transportation and Fleet Canada (+500 associates) in all region across Walmart Canada. The role will lead transformational initiatives and projects around driving engagement towards health and safety and to undertake a journey to become a world-class Supply Chain operation. Must be a SME of Federal, Provincial, and local occupational health and safety laws and regulations to ensure the company complies with all current health and safety regulations. Also responsible for leading a team of 3 Regional Health & Safety Fleet Managers who will execute the strategy developed by the National Director – Health and Safety.
Responsible for the consistent design, execution, assessment, and continuous improvement of H&S requirements across the Walmart Canada business that are aligned with National Walmart Canada Supply Chain H&S expectations.
What you'll do...
1. Responsible for development, implementation, lead, coach and support for all regions on Walmart Canada H&S Management System – W CARE for all areas of the business. Provide support and leadership for all H&S W CARE Pillar and transformational initiatives. Provide quality assurance on SEARCH (incident investigations) and ensure proper root cause analysis and corrective measures are in place. Support and provide advice to the regions on the CARE process in regard to First Aid, Mental Health, Fatigue Management, Early & Safe Return to Work processes and claims management in order to reduce workers compensation costs.
2. Accountable to lead Transportation H&S team on large best practice Walmart Canada and National and cross regional H&S Projects to move towards a One Way best in class H&S Management System and aligned approach to improve overall H&S performance. Support and give technical H&S guidance on projects. Build relationships with key partners in Supply Chain, Operations, HR, Legal, Engineering, Sustainability, Asset Management, Continuous Improvement, Finance, Sales and Offices to ensure network-wide support for H&S efforts.
3. Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects for Transportation Operations by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance; accordingly, developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
4. Ensures the execution and implementation of value-added H&S strategic initiatives (Mental Health, Fatigue Management, Cognitive Fitness to Work Drivers Assessments etc.) in Transportation Departments by executing H&S Risk Assessments, evaluating operational processes and procedures for potential improvement opportunities; collaborating with regional operations management, store operations, and cross functional teams to ensure proposed initiatives match operational capabilities; overseeing the integration of strategic H&S initiatives into Transportation operations; and identifying new metrics to track Transportation H&S performance and ensure continuous improvement.
5. Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates (both salaried & hourly) by training; mentoring; assigning duties; building a team-based work environment; establishing performance expectations and conducting regular performance reviews; providing recognition and rewards and coaching for success and improvement.
6. Manage and perform W CARE H&S Pillar audits (Lead auditor or auditor) to ensure sites/regions are meeting Walmart W CARE National H&S requirements. Help the sites/regions in the development of their annual EHS plans, CAR plans and help resource their corrective measures. Follow-up on CAR (corrective actions) closure.
7. Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current H&S plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
8. Research and network with corporate counterparts and industry experts to maintain a current working knowledge of H&S best practices and strategies. Where necessary support the sites/regions with interactions with governmental and regulatory agencies in collaboration with Compliance department. Represent Walmart Canada at external events and conferences.
- EHS Project Management
- EHS Management of Change
- EHS BBS (Behavior Based Safety)
- Ability to Influence
- Communication Skills
Minimum Education required - Bachelor's Degree
Minimum years of Experience required - 6-8 years
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Age – 18 or older
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Walmart will accommodate the disability-related needs of applicants and associates as required by law.
Primary Location…6800 MARITZ DR, MISSISSAUGA, ON L5W 1W2, Canada