Manager, Real Estate (12 Month Contract)
Argentia & Mississauga Rd. (Corporate/Home Office)
Temporary Assignment - Full Time
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. In Canada, Walmart was established in 1994 through the acquisition of the Woolco Chain and has grown to over 400 stores nationwide serving more than 1.2 million customers every day. Walmart Canada's flagship online store, walmart.ca is visited by over 600,000 customers daily. With over 95,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada’s largest employees and is ranked as one of the country’s top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada’s extensive philanthropy program is focused on supporting Canadian families in need, and since 1994 Walmart has donated and raised more than $250 million to Canadian charities. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca, facebook.com/walmartcanada and at twitter.com/@walmartcanada.
The Mgr, Real Estate is responsible for determining real estate opportunities and executing, with other team members, the real estate management and development program for maintenance and growth of current store portfolio. This individual will enable the optimization of Walmart Canada’s real estate within their region which includes but is not limited to renegotiating lease terms and rates, enforcing landlord maintenance commitments, cross-functionally supporting negotiation of CAM and Taxes where identified by Specialists and unlocking excess lands. This role will also support the strategic roll out of any incremental stores within their region on an as needed basis. This role will also be the Real Estate department ‘lead’ on one or two cross departmental workstreams such as E-Comm, Property Maintenance.
1. Manage occupancy costs within assigned region, in particular Property tax appeals, CAM budget and landlord maintenance commitments.
2. Negotiate a wide variety of real estate transactions with senior executives representing Landlords, Owners and Developers (Land Purchase, Leases and Lease Renewals) and in particular support Relay Programme, Distribution and E-Comm strategy.
3. Support creation of 10 and 3 year plan as it relates to stores within assigned region.
4. Evaluate potential markets for new store development and redevelopment of existing sites based on demographic trends, market visits, networking, managing consulting brokers, and a thorough understanding of competitors' locations and future growth strategies and plans within each assigned market.
5. Support Executive Real Estate trips to markets for introduction of sites and existing store projects.
6. Assist Finance team with financial models to support project business cases.
7. Independently present real estate negotiations or projects to Format Development Strategy Meeting, Canadian Real Estate Committee and International Real Estate Committee Meetings to secure overall project and capital expenditure approvals.
8. Support Regional Director and on occasion take lead on new and relocation projects from inception to approval and support until grand opening to ensuring projects are proceeding as scheduled and on budget, by working with resources, including Real Estate Specialists, Senior Development Managers, Legal teams, Brokers, Consultants,Developers, and JV Partners.
Canada Walmart Division
Minimum Education Required: Bachelor's Degree/MBA
Minimum Years of Experience Required: 3-5 years
Licensing & Other Qualifications
- Experience in Canadian Retail/Commercial Real Estate
- Strong Real Estate Finance background IRR, NPV, DCF – (ideally P&L & Balance Sheet as well)
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Results driven with strong problem solving skills
- Strong team building and interpersonal skills
- Extensive network of existing developers / landowners
Walmart will accommodate the disability-related needs of applicants and associates as required by law.