Manager, Food Safety & Labelling
Argentia & Mississauga Rd. (Corporate/Home Office)
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of more than 410 stores nationwide serving more than 1.2 million customers each day. Walmart Canada’s flagship online store, www.walmart.ca, is visited by 750,000 customers daily. With more than 85,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada’s largest employers and is ranked one of the country’s top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada’s extensive philanthropy program is focused on supporting Canadian families in need, and since 1994 Walmart has donated and raised more than $300 million to Canadian charities. Additional information can be found at www.walmartcanada.ca, www.facebook.com/walmartcanada and at twitter.com/@walmartcanada
The Food Safety & Labelling Manager role is responsible for (1) the development, implementation and management of the third party food labelling program for Walmart private brands food products, including establishing standards for, liaising with, and potentially performing quality assurance on, work product of any third parties engaged by Walmart or applicable suppliers, (2) the execution of recalls and completion of associated reporting to regulatory authorities, and (3) supporting the development, review and maintenance of store level food safety procedures.
1. Subject matter expert in interpreting the Canadian Food and Drug Act and all Regulations associated with food products, food packaging, labelling and advertising. Demonstrate expertise in food product labelling and advertising and apply such expertise to the development, execution and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance.
2. Develops, implements and manages third party food labelling program for Walmart private brands. This includes, development of a program that outlines roles and responsibilities for all internal and external stakeholders, scope of work and liaising with the third party service provider and suppliers on projects and manage disputes associated with these projects.
3. Manages labelling and signage compliance program for in-store food products by ensuring that food products and food labels comply with all CFIA guidelines and applicable laws and Walmart compliance and safety expectations.
4. Assesses and monitors supplier/service provider performance and product compliance as related to customer, reputation and brands. Responds accordingly to established risk assessement and management protocols. Develop appropriate protocols to bridge gaps and manage non-conformances identified through internal programs or from regulatory.
5. Supports the business by providing expertise and guidance to business partners for food related marketing initiatives and by reviewing and managing the overflow of Label Copy Templates in the Hive and ensuring that all required documents are in the system.
6. Ensure compliance and consumer safety by managing execution of product recalls, including initiation, notification, item restriction, communication and collaboration with all affected internal and external stakeholders (including regulators).
7. Develop, review and maintain store level standard operating procedures (SOPs) and assist with reviewing store level corrective action plans related to the monthly Food Safety Audit.
8. Leads consultations on regulatory activities associated with product labelling and signage. Assesses implication of new and/or changing regulations on Walmart branded products. Determines and defines strategies for addressing changes and regulatory initiatives which might require execution by other stakeholders (e.g. Sodium Reduction Initiative, Health Canada Label Modernization and NFT reformulation).
Canada Walmart Division
Minimum Education Required: B.Sc.
Minimum Years of Experience Required: Minimum of 3 years
Licensing & Other Qualifications
Expert knowledge of labelling regulations and CFIA guidelines.
Bilingual is an asset. Industry experience with label reviews. Degree or diploma in Food Science or Nutritional Sciences preferred.
Walmart will accommodate the disability-related needs of applicants and associates as required by law.