Position Summary...The Data Scientist represents the foundation of a data driven culture that has made Wal-Mart a leader in the retail industry. Individual in this role will use a wealth of ecommerce, physical store and external data available to understand customer behaviour improve operational efficiencies and provide actionable insights to stakeholders so they can make smarter, data-driven decisions.The successful candidate will have an established background in solving complex problems, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and the motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. Our team is small, creative, diligent, highly entrepreneurial and business-focused.
What you'll do...
- Lead the data science development process with hands-on analysis and modeling, drawing from multiple of analytical methods to choose the right tool and right level of complexity appropriate for the business challenges.
- Articulate business questions and use mathematical techniques to arrive at an answer using data; Translate analysis results into business recommendations.
- Identify and communicate the challenges and opportunities that the data science team should be working on.
- Help define the analytical direction and influence the direction of the associated engineering and infrastructure work; Perform ad-hoc analysis and present results concisely and persuasively to stakeholders.
- Create production-ready code for deployment into clusters and/or other API’s; Determine the tracking necessary to enable our products and features by working closely with product, marketing, operations and engineering partners.
- Engage broadly with the organization to identify, prioritize, frame, and structure complex and ambiguous challenges, where advanced analytics projects or tools can have the biggest impact.
- Build metrics, reports and dashboards imbedded with data science algorithms using various visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, RShiny/flex, plotly/dash dashboards).
- Enable others in the organization to utilize your work by sharing your work as well as act as an ambassador for Data Science within Walmart Canada.
- Degree in a STEM discipline (applied mathematics, computer science, statistics, engineering, machine learning, econometrics etc.) with 3-5 years of commercial experience in a data science role solving high impact business problems.
- Experience creating data product strategies, data products, iterating after launch, and optimizing by continuously improving the underlying algorithm/logic.
- Experience understanding, applying and tuning AI algorithms (supervised and unsupervised learning).
- Track record of diving into data to discover hidden patterns and conducting error/deviation analysis.
- Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, and to accurately determine cause and effect relationships.
- Proficient/experience in Python (or similar scripting language), SQL and big data tools such as Hive, Spark, etc.
- Comfortable working in a cross-functional role, as well as seeing opportunity within ambiguity.
- Curious, hunger for innovation and an appetite for learning.
- Must be able to explain technical concepts and analyses implications (tell a data story) clearly to a wide business audience/possess excellent communication skills and be able to translate business objectives into actionable analyses.
- Experience in e-commerce or a related field and GCP/Big Query/BQ ML would be considered as an asset.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Age - 16 or older
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Walmart will accommodate the disability-related needs of applicants and associates as required by law.
Primary Location…1940 ARGENTIA RD, MISSISSAUGA, ON L5N 1P9, Canada