DARE Program - Memorial University
Location: Argentia & Mississauga Rd. (Corporate/Home Office)
Time Type: Full Time
About Walmart Canada
“Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore conventional wisdom.” – Sam Walton, founder, Walmart
At Walmart, we do things differently. Always have. Our entrepreneurial spirit drove us to become the largest retailer in the world and we’re growing and innovating every day. With more than 95,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of our country’s largest employers. We operate more than 391 traditional discount and supercentre stores nationally.
Career mobility at Walmart is legendary. Our associates seize the many opportunities to grow within Canada and other parts of the world. With more than 9,000 stores in 28 countries worldwide, Walmart offers global opportunities and perspective to our talent.
We have been recognized by Waterstone Human Capital as having one of Canada's top 10 corporate cultures. It stems from our belief in individual respect, excellence and service to our customers. Our beliefs are more than posters on the wall – we walk the talk. These are the values we live each and every day.
Did you know? Quick facts.
• Since 1994, thanks to our customer and partners, Walmart has raised and donated over $200 million
• We’re one of Canada’s largest commercial purchasers of clean, renewable electricity through our partnership with Bullfrog Power
• Walmart Canada is the largest corporate partner of the Canadian Red Cross
The DARE (Developing Accelerated Retail Experience) is a 2-2.5 year program depending on the stream you choose to specialize in. You’ll be tasked with solving the kinds of real-world operational problems that arise in our industry—and with as many locations as we have, there’s no shortage of fresh challenges.
How is the Developing Accelerated Retail Experience different? We have 3 streams to choose from to help support getting you where you want to go! Our End Goal? Creating future leaders of tomorrow through hands-on, fast-paced learning.
From there? You get to pursue your passion and choose the stream that most interests you. Want to lead a team to new heights? Crunch numbers with a retail powerhouse? Or help our entire company operate, behind the scenes? No matter your passion, you can launch your career and develop the skills you need to succeed.
The first year of the DARE program begins with a foundational learning in store operations. This is where DARE associates will learn the ins and outs of our daily operations from an executional perspective.
After the first year, candidates will spend six months in business critical rotations at our Store Support Centre (SSC):
- Three months in merchandising
- Three months in supply chain/logistics and our distribution centres (DC)
These first 18 months will build a foundation across Walmart’s core business functions. In order to move onto the next phase of DARE, all candidates must complete both the Foundational Learning and Business Critical Rotations. After 18 months, DARE associates pick a specialization based on their career aspirations:
There are 3 streams to select:
1) Store Support Centre (SSC) Core Rotations – 6 months
2) Finance Specialization – 6 months
3) Leadership role in Store Operations (Assistant Manager/Co-Manager) – 1 year
Wrap- up with a cumulative, practical, real-time capstone project to combine learnings and showcase new skills
What you will gain:
- Diverse experience.
- Unmatched mentorship.
- Experience workshops and presentations from many areas of the business such as eCommerce, Logistics, Space Planning, Merchandising, Marketing, Finance and Human Resources.
- A personal mentor at the senior leadership level, providing in-depth, face-to-face learning from leaders in Canadian retail
And the best part? When you’ve finished the DARE Program, you’ll have already started a rewarding career. Leaving the program you will possess a deep understanding of our business rooted in operational experience, benefiting from cross-functional rotations; strong training and leadership capabilities. You will Learn, Lead and Leverage your operational learnings regardless of the path you choose.
Canada Walmart Division
Please include your Resume and Transcripts. Cover letter NOT required.
- Must be graduating from a Canadian University OR graduate degree with expected commencement in Dec 2018 -Spring 2019
- Involvement with Community through extracurricular activity or volunteer work
- Passion for retail, merchandising, supply chain/logistics and/or operations
- Show a foundation of Situational Judgment, Clear paradigm of Service to the Customer, Demonstrates personal drive for Excellence, Demonstrates capability in Planning for Improvement, Adaptability, Teamwork (influencing and communicating), Respect for the Individual
DARE offers real-world learning and experience combined with the freedom to explore career options in whatever area fulfills you—because at Walmart, making people’s lives better is our definition of success. Stop waiting for your future to find you—go out and get it. We DARE you.
Walmart will accommodate the disability-related needs of applicants and associates as required by law.