Clinical Therapist (Full-time or Part-time)
We love Clinical Therapists who support people through a crisis by using their unique skills, training and abilities. If you would like to be in a community-based, client centred environment that is passionate about care for Indigenous people, consider Wabano!
Wabano is seeking positive, community-minded team members who are energized by challenge and motivated to serve our community.
The Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health is an award-winning Health Access Centre that provides holistic health services to First Nation, Inuit and Métis people living in Ottawa - one of the fastest growing and diverse urban Indigenous communities in Canada. Wabano is a fast-paced, client-oriented organization that models the Indigenous values of balance, respect and community interdependence. Wabano is proud to be accredited through the Canadian Centre for Accreditation, a third-party review based on accepted organizational practices that promote ongoing quality improvement and responsive, effective community services.
Purpose of Position
Under the supervision of the Director of Mental Wellness, our Clinical Therapists are responsible for direct service provision, which includes conducting client assessments and providing brief psycho-therapeutic intervention.
This position requires a Certification in Counselling (or working towards), a Masters Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Counselling or a related field, combined with an exceptional understanding of Indigenous people.
Some of the responsibilities of this position are:
- Provide clinical counselling/psychotherapy to individuals of all ages;
- Provide extended psychotherapy to adults requiring further support;
- Provide culturally appropriate direct service including client assessment, intervention and referrals;
- Create and maintain cooperative working relationships with community agencies, schools, courts, child welfare workers, etc. in order to make referrals and mobilize community resources for client welfare;
- Provide quality client care that is consistent with best practice, agency standards and evidence-based approaches (particularly brief, narrative, solution focused therapies for walk-in counselling and trauma informed approaches for longer term psychotherapy);
- Coordinate professional development;
- Facilitate and/or co-facilitate group healing processes for community members;
- Entry and maintenance of client records in EMR system and databases, ensuring sharing and receiving referrals, monitoring referral status;
- Completing reports as required.
- Completion of a Masters Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Counselling or other applicable program.
- Current registration (or eligibility) with CCPA or OCRT, OASW & OCSWSSW or other professional college applicable.
- Demonstrated experience in individual, couple, family therapy, including brief models, with diverse client populations (Indigenous experience a strong asset).
- Experience in short-term, single session, strength based narrative counselling approaches an asset.
- Experience working with complex trauma and on an inter-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with Indigenous people, including sound knowledge and understanding of issues impacting mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health in contemporary society.
- Ability and skills to recognize and manage the signs of a client in crisis.
- Clear criminal reference check to work with vulnerable population is required.
First Nations, Inuit or Métis candidates will be given priority, please self-identify.
To pursue this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Wabano is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or interviewing, please advise if you require accommodation.