RNs and RPNs - Palliative Care
Looking for more?
At VHA Home HealthCare, more is not just our commitment to clients, but to our incredible team of staff.
Creating opportunities for more independence; it’s what people in the community rely on us for and what VHA Home HealthCare (VHA) has offered for over 90 years. With over 2,700 health care professionals serving clients in seven Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs), VHA’s client and family-centered, community-based approach provides nursing, rehabilitation, personal support and home support services. Our caring, professional team offers spectacular care to Ontario seniors, families, adults and children living with disabilities or suffering from a chronic or terminal illness, helping them live life more independently, in comfort and with dignity.
We are currently seeking:
Registered Nurses (RNs) and Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs) – Palliative Care (both full-time and part-time positions).
This role will provide and coordinate home health nursing services in Palliative and End-of-Life Care to individuals, families and groups according to the College of Nurses of Ontario Practice Standards, the policies and procedures, best practice requirements of VHA and the Standards of Practice in Community Health Nursing.
Join one of our newly Integrated Palliative Care Teams – working in Scarborough or Durham regions. By providing seamless care focusing on what matters most to our clients and their families, the interdisciplinary teams will enhance the quality of care of palliative clients with an emphasis on effective symptom and pain management to improve overall quality of life.
Key Skills, Experience and Behaviours Required for this Position:
- Current certificate of competency (licensure) from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BCLS certificate (RN); diploma (RPN)
- Membership with your professional association preferred (RNAO/RPNAO)
- Ideal candidates will have “Fundamentals of Palliative Care” (MoH). In addition they will have, CNA certification in Hospice Palliative Care Nursing OR are actively pursuing Enhanced Fundamentals and the Comprehensive Palliative Education Program (CAPCE). Preference will be given to candidates with an Undergraduate Degree in Nursing/Nursing Science
- Membership with RNAO an asset
- Minimum of 2-years of experience, in the past 5-years in hospice/palliative care essential; with preference given to candidates whose palliative experience has been in a community setting
- Strong clinical practices with ability to champion evidence-based best practices – particularly in pain and symptom management and end-of-life care
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and problem-solve complex clinical situations and psycho-social circumstances in providing or managing the care of palliative clients’ across the continuum of end-of-life care
- Ability to recognize, assess and treat end-of-life care emergencies and psychosocial distress
- Able to recognize safety issues, follow safe work practices, advocate for client care and safety concerns
- Ability to practice nursing in accordance with client/family-centred care principles in establishing authentic/empathetic professional relationships with clients and families, understanding and documenting client/family preferences and goals, advocating for clients/families
- Ability to collaborate with other members of the health care team to access required services and to ensure smooth transitions
- Demonstrated ability to use knowledge-transfer techniques to support practice delegation.
- Demonstrated commitment to modelling lifelong learning and professional growth
- Valid driver’s license and use of a car on the job (mandatory for those working in the Durham Region; may be required for those working in Scarborough area)
How to Apply
Please visit www.vha.ca/careers to apply. Our online application should take about 5 to 10 minutes to complete.
VHA Home HealthCare is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. Accredited with Exemplary Standing by Accreditation Canada, an RNAO Best Practice Spotlight Organization designated and a founding member agency of United Way Toronto.If you require any accommodation in the application process, please let us know in advance.
Thank you to everyone who applies. We will review applications as they are received. We’ll only be contacting those selected for further discussion.