Protection Services Professional
Want to work in a leading-edge underground mine?
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland, and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine critical minerals that power electric vehicles, create renewable energy solutions, and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our Sudbury Operations have been in existence for more than 100 years. With five mines, a mill, a smelter, a refinery, and nearly 4,000 employees it is also one of the largest integrated mining complexes in the world. Sudbury is also home to several administrative sites serving both the Ontario Operations as well as all our North Atlantic Operations.
We are currently seeking a Protection Services Professional to join our Protection Services team in Sudbury. This is a fixed-term position.
This role provides service in the areas of security, advanced first aid, injury management and emergency response, as well as promotes safe and healthy work practices within the organization. The position is scheduled for shift work which is required on days, nights and weekends to support 24/7 operations.
Additionally, in this position you will:
- Treatment of sick/injured personnel.
- Respond to injuries on surface and underground.
- Access and egress control (including traffic control, escorts, monitoring security cameras and access control system (Genetec).
- Patrols of plants and mines.
- Traffic violations and accident investigation.
- Report writing.
- Notification of Level 1, 2, and 3 emergency response protocols.
- Surface/Underground fire procedures and response (including stench injection).
- Monitor Safety Trak System for underground mines (Working Alone Reporting System).
- Injury Management and paper flow for WSIB (Industrial and non-industrial injuries or illnesses).
- Respirator and safety eyewear Fit Testing for all area mines and plants.
- Urinalysis of Nickel Carbonyl using A-Analyst 600 Atomic Absorption Sectro Meter. (Nickel Refinery).
- Present information consistent with policies and procedures and answer questions as required to employees, contractors, and visitors.
- A valid Ontario Security Guard license.
- Must have at a minimum, a College Diploma in Law and Security, Nursing, or Paramedic.
- Minimum Standard First Aid certificate but would prefer Advanced First Aid, CPR Administration, and Defibrillator.
- A minimum of 6 months of relevant experience is required.
- Acts in an adaptable and flexible way, acting with resilience when facing adversity and change.
- Demonstrates excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills.
- Software skills in Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Proficient in report writing.
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal-opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: June 5, 2023