Mechanical Engineering Co-op
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our Sudbury Operations have been in existence for more than 100 years. With five mines, a mill, a smelter, a refinery and nearly 4,000 employees it is also one of the largest integrated mining complexes in the world. Sudbury is also home to several administrative sites serving both the Ontario Operations as well as all our North Atlantic Operations.
Port Colborne is home to our Nickel Refinery where raw materials from our Sudbury operations are processed into electrocobalt and precious metals and serves as a distribution centre for finished nickel products.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical Engineering Co-op, 12-15 months to join our Refinery in Port Colborne, in May 2023.
Reporting to the Superintendent of Maintenance Execution, the student will hold a technical support role in the Mechanical Maintenance Department. The role adds value by assisting the Millwright and Welding teams in the areas of preventative maintenance, failure analysis, organization, training, continuous improvement, and research and development. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting three different teams developing common KPI tracking dashboards and interpreting daily and monthly work requests as well as leading a continuous improvement project with one of the teams.
Although previous experience in mining or an industrial setting is considered an asset, we also appreciate that diversity of thought comes from our differences – and that’s what makes us great!
Education & Experience:
- Education: Currently enrolled and in good standing in a Mechanical Engineering program or Technologist; with strong computer skills
- Please include a university/college transcript(s) with your application
- Preference will be given to students in 3rd year of higher
- Chemical/Hydrometallurgical plant experience would be considered an asset.
- Pressure piping and welding experience would be considered an asset
- SAP experience would be considered an asset
- Experience in a similar role would be an asset
Requirements & Accountabilities:
- Follow Vale’s Safety Policies, Programs and Legislative Standards
- Written and oral communication skills
- Must be obsessed with safety and risk
- Demonstrate open and transparent dialogue in all aspects of work
- Acquire and use practical and technical knowledge of the plant process to improve reliability of equipment.
- Develop 5s solutions for the team to improve efficiency.
- Assist with failure analysis and solutions with our teams and Reliability engineer.
- Standardize equipment and processes between the 3 teams.
- Analyze and provide solutions for the efficient inputting of information from the tradesman and foreman into SAP.
- Ability to apply basic mechanical engineering knowledge (safety, pump flow rates, repair techniques and pressure testing)
- Knowledge of Overall Equipment Effectiveness principles
- Initiative and self-motivation to learn the process and move projects forward
What We Offer You
Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth
Opportunities to build your network and lots of fun!
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: January 31, 2023