Lab Analyst Co-op
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities, and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland, and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our Sudbury Operations have been in existence for more than 100 years. With five mines, a mill, a smelter, a refinery and nearly 4,000 employees it is also one of the largest integrated mining complexes in the world. Sudbury is also home to several administrative sites serving both the Ontario Operations as well as all our North Atlantic Operations.
Port Colborne is home to our Cobalt and Precious Metals Refineries, and Nickel Packaging Plant. Here raw materials from our Sudbury operations are processed into electro cobalt and precious metals products and finished nickel product from Vale refineries are packaged and shipped to customers around the world.
The Analytical Services Team provides process control and final product assays for our two refining departments. Our analytical support is used daily in making processing decisions in our batch and continuous operations circuits. In addition to this we also support ongoing improvement projects for the Process Technology team. Our analysis is provided with up to date equipment and we are always looking to make improvements…SAFELY!
We are seeking a Lab Analyst, Co-op Student to join our Port Colborne Refinery. This is a fixed term position, 12 to 15 months duration, starting in January or April 2023.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- This is an in-process quality analysis position where samples of metallurgical product are routinely analyzed during production through a variety of methods using state of the art instruments and techniques.
- Metals analysis, trace analysis and sample preparation
- Working knowledge of ICP
- Sample preparation, including weighing, digesting and diluting a broad range of different sample types
- Perform routine sample analysis using a variety of analytical techniques
- Perform complex sample analysis with assistance from senior personnel
- Operation and basic maintenance of analytical instrumentation
As a Co-op student, you will;
- Follow Vale’s Safety Policies, Programs and Legislative Standards
- Ensure compliance to the applicable laws, standards and guidelines
- Gain knowledge of laboratory safety manual, quality manual, test methods, and SOPs in order to perform daily responsibilities and to report departures from these established procedures
- Gain experience in a ISO 17025 accredited facility
- Provide analytical support to enable safe and efficient operations of the processing plants
- Maintain open and clear dialogue in all aspects of work
Currently enrolled and in good standing in a Chemical Technology or Chemistry program.
- Demonstrate good written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 products; Teams, Word, Excel, Outlook
- Analytical Experience using Spectro ICP-OES, and Mass Spectrophotometry is an asset
How can Vale grow your career?
The Lab Analyst, Co-op Student position is an opportunity that will allow the right candidate to gain valuable experience, knowledge and be a part of shaping our mining operations. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Hands on training opportunities
- Participation in our Employee Family Assistance Program
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
Deadline to Apply: January 31, 2023