Geotechnical Engineering Co-op Student
Ready to lead with your engineering skills?
Who We Are
Welcome to Vale. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. Together. We value our workforce and strive to offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale Base Metals is one of the world's largest producers of high-quality nickel and an important producer of copper and responsibly sourced cobalt. With headquarters in Toronto, Canada, and operations in Newfoundland & Labrador, Ontario, Manitoba, UK, Indonesia, and Brazil, we are delivering the critical building blocks for a cleaner, greener future.
Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine the critical minerals that power electric vehicles, build renewable energy solutions, and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our corporate office, located in downtown Toronto serves as the headquarters for the global Base Metals business, providing support to all our Base Metals operations. In Mississauga, you’ll find Vale’s Base Metals Technical team; a group of highly trained engineers and scientists working to improve Vale’s competitive edge and support its growth strategies by coming up with safer and more environmentally responsible technology.
We are currently seeking a Geotechnical Engineering Co-op Student to join our Vale Canada Operations in our North Atlantic Operations Center. This is a fixed-term position for a duration of 12 months, beginning in May 2024.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and open-minded person who wishes to learn about the underground mining cycle and be involved in cutting-edge technology projects that aim to mitigate seismicity and improve productivity.
The position will be based offsite with frequent onsite work within the Geotechnical Office of the Centre of Excellence.
The successful incumbent will be required to go underground on a routine basis with a supervisor to assist with the data collection, management, and report writing aspects of technology projects that aim to mitigate seismicity and improve productivity within the underground mining environment. These projects will include but are not necessarily limited to:
- Stope stability assessments to enable geometry optimization.
- Operationalize hydraulic preconditioning of ground characterized by high stress conditions to enable mining sequence optimization.
- Trial of novel in-situ rock bolt test technologies to support the development of preventative ground support maintenance programs.
- Trial of dynamic roll-on mesh and handler using existing boom bolter fleet.
- Currently enrolled and in good standing in an Undergraduate program in an Earth Science or Engineering related field including, but not necessarily limited to; Geotechnical, Mining, Geology, or Civil.
- Experience in an industrial environment would be considered an asset.
- Follow Vale’s Safety Policies, Programs and Legislative Standards.
- A sound knowledge of geology, mining engineering, and/or geotechnical engineering within the context of mining. Good grades and a passion for geotechnical engineering will be looked upon favorably.
- Advanced computer skills primarily with the Microsoft Office suite of tools.
- Good verbal and written English language skills.
- Good listening and organizational skills.
- Demonstrable experience working independently or within a team to achieve set objectives.
What We Offer You
- Competitive salary
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth.
- Opportunities to build your network and have lots of fun!
Include to Transform
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are critical to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: Thursday, February 29, 2024