Environmental Sciences or Chemical/Environmental Engineering Summer Students
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our Sudbury Operations have been in existence for more than 100 years. With five mines, a mill, a smelter, a refinery and nearly 4,000 employees it is also one of the largest integrated mining complexes in the world. Sudbury is also home to several administrative sites serving both the Ontario Operations as well as all our North Atlantic Operations.
Port Colborne is home to our Nickel Refinery where raw materials from our Sudbury operations are processed into electrocobalt and precious metals and serves as a distribution centre for finished nickel products.
Sudbury operations have undergone extensive risk review work not only in the field of safety but also with respect to its environmental aspects and impacts, allowing us to identify and maintain key controls required to mitigate risk. The Environment department ensures that sites are actively monitoring and managing environmental aspects and impacts and that we continually seek opportunities to reduce our impact on the environment by reducing emissions and resource consumption, increasing recycling and reuse, and developing less carbon-intensive processes - all while keeping the public informed about our environmental responsibilities. Vale is committed to sustainably managing the quantity and quality of water that we are using in our operations. We work on reclaiming sites impacted by our mining both historically and on our own de-commissioned lands. The Sudbury environment team works in collaboration with government and academia to help restore and preserve wildlife habitats to support diverse species.
We are currently seeking two (2) Environmental Sciences or Chemical/Environmental Engineering Summer Students
to join our Environment Team in Sudbury. This is a fixed term position.
The successful candidates will undertake the duties required to assist the Environment department mainly in the air quality regulatory requirements.
Although previous experience in mining or an industrial setting is considered an asset, we also appreciate that diversity of thought comes from our differences – and that’s what makes us great!
- Completed second year or third year and will be enrolled in a post-secondary program related to Environmental Science or Chemical/Environmental Engineering for the completion of their studies.
- Experience in an industrial environment would be considered an asset
- Follow Vale’s Safety Policies, Programs and Legislative Standards
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and work well with others in a team environment
- Maintain a high level of professional conduct
- Must be obsessed with safety and risk
- Demonstrate open and transparent dialogue in all aspects of work
- Implement focused monitoring and sampling programs related to air quality (road dust sampling, SO2 mobile sampling, in-plant TSP monitoring, etc.) independently as assigned.
- Manage and assess data on an ongoing basis
- Prepare comprehensive technical reports for each project assigned
- Prepare and implement a personal safety plan
- Dayshift rotation only
- Ability and requirement to do outdoor physical work
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite of Programs (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Must have a valid G Driver’s License
What We Offer You
- Competitive salary
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion and career growth
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: January 31, 2023