Engineer In Training
Join Vale today! Continuously learn throughout your career.
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
Our Sudbury Operations have been in existence for more than 100 years. With five mines, a mill, a smelter, a refinery and nearly 4,000 employees it is also one of the largest integrated mining complexes in the world. Sudbury is also home to several administrative sites serving both the Ontario Operations as well as all our North Atlantic Operations.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
The various Engineering Teams are all integral for Vale’s short-term and long-term operating strategy and success.
For FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES, we are seeking Engineers in Training to join our Sudbury Operations.
As an Engineer in Training at Vale, you will be enrolled in a program that includes Application of Theory, Practical Experience, Management of Engineering Communication Skills, and Social Implications of Engineering which is the requirement for licensing as a Professional Engineer in Ontario. You will build and maintain relationships, interact with other technical staff and supervision, get involved in assignments across a variety of technical groups across Vale, make occasional trips underground and may get involved in assignments in similar departments in other Vale North Atlantic Operations.
Additionally, in this position you will:
- Follow Vale’s Safety Policy and Legislative Standards
- Ensure compliance to the applicable regulations, standards, and guidelines
- Develop skills and abilities related to the provision of engineering to Ontario Operations, maintaining a high level of professional conduct
- Identify, analyze, recommend, and bring into action opportunities for safety, productivity, and cost improvements
- Provide technical support to enable safe and cost-effective operations.
- Complete assigned projects safety and on time.
- Undergraduate Degree in Engineering. Must be eligible to register as an Engineer in Training with the professional engineering association in Ontario (PEO).
- Early career (0 to 2 years), mid-level (3 to 7 years) and senior profiles (8 + years) are welcome
- Working knowledge of engineering design software such as AutoCAD or MicroStation is an asset however, training will be provided.
- Experience with engineering design software such as Deswik is an asset however, training will be provided.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Strong problem-solving and data analysis skills
- Organization and time management skills
- Takes initiative and can self-direct to accomplish goals with minimum supervision.
What we offer you:
- The Engineer-In-Training (EIT), is a developmental technical position that will allow the right candidate to shape our mining operations as well as grow into a technical leadership role. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans and optional insurances)
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Flexible work arrangements
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion and career growth
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Online training and career development opportunities
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: October 28th, 2022