Community Engagement Specialist
Community Engagement Specialist C-2018-23
(up to 28 hours / week, hours will vary. 6 month assignment)
United Way has been changing people’s lives for the better since 1930! We help kids be all they can be, move families from poverty to possibility and build stronger communities. Across Metro Vancouver and from the Sea to Sky corridor to the Sunshine Coast, we help make our community better. We are a social change engine powered by research, partnerships and public support.
The Community Engagement Specialist is responsible for the coordination and implementation of resident engagement opportunities in local communities as a mechanism of furthering the strategic mission of United Way of the Lower Mainland. The role helps identify key assets and challenges in community. The role helps identify individuals who have the potential to serve as community leaders; and provide opportunities for leadership development in community. The role gathers the local intelligence to be utilized by the CII Planners and Assistant Director of Volunteer Mobilization to form strategies and approaches to UW local love work and in turn, implements the strategies and activates identified.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Responsibility Area: Community Engagement & Development
- Listens, seeks information from the community, is engaged in activities to understand community aspirations , and is able to authentically restate the community’s agenda from the community’s perspective
Key Responsibility Area: Community Mobilization
- Through community engagement opportunities identifies for United Way individuals who have the potential to serve as volunteer community builders,
Key Responsibility Area: Community Partnerships
- Assists the Community Impact Planner and Assistant Director of Volunteer Mobilization to identify prospects for partnerships in community engagement opportunities
Key Responsibility Area: Other
- Responsible for report backs on programs
Performs other duties related to the qualifications and requirements of the job. For full requirements of the position please refer to the full job description on our website uwlm.ca.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
2 years post secondary diploma or equivalent (ie. Community Mobilization, community development and engagement, etc).
3 years’ experience in engaging communities in asset building activities and mobilizing resident action to solving community issues.
Previous experience in successful community engagement projects
Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge and practice of asset based community development, resident engagement, and facilitation
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; an effective listener and presenter
- Demonstrated ability to work within a community setting with diverse populations, including community groups, government, professional staff and volunteers.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and computer applications
- Experience utilizing research methodology
- Ability to work on multiple projects and responsibilities concurrently
- Strong leadership skills
- Able to motivate and lead a team of community builders and be able to work as a highly proficient and effective, contributing team member; Ability to create and maintain good working relationships
- Must be able to relate to corporate and community leaders in a professional manner.
- Attention to detail; excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proven presentation skills and training skills...
- Ability to exercise a high level of tact and discretion in both internal and external interactions.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure be responsive and meet deadlines.
- Must provide their own vehicle and possess a valid BC driver’s license
- Role will be based 90% in community and 10% in office. Significant demands on work time will exist outside normal business hours.
For success at UWLM and in this role, certain demonstrable characteristics will be required:
- A commitment to building healthy, caring and inclusive communities, internally and externally
- A Can-Do attitude and willingness to creatively problem solve
- Drive to succeed as an individual and a team member
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and comfortably operate in it
- Models and fosters behavior that establishes an empowered, determined, and united culture
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 19, 2018 at 4:00 pm.
TalentEgg will send your application to: email@example.com