Family Physician - Home Based Primary Care
Family Physician – Home-Based Primary Care
Permanent Part-time Position (2 to 2.5 days weekly)
Unison Health and Community Services is a non-profit, community-based organization that serves neighbourhoods in North West Toronto. Operating out of five locations, Unison offers core services that include primary health care, counselling, health promotion, Early Years programs, legal services, harm reduction programs, housing assistance, adult protective services, Pathways to Education™ and a Diabetes Education Program. Unison’s mission is working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change. We are dedicated to providing high quality health care and community services and programs, with a focus on priority populations in North West Toronto.
We are working from an inclusive, sex positive, harm reduction, anti-racist, pro-choice, anti-oppression, and participatory framework in addressing the issue of access to health care for our mandated priority populations encompassing all the determinants of health.
At this time Unison is looking for a keen and committed Family Physician to provide primary care services to home-bound frail seniors in west Toronto. The successful candidate also provides oversight and direction to staff related to the provision of this service to clients and as required, may lead or engage in efforts to mitigate client/staff issues.
Reporting to the Hub and Satellite Manager, Bathurst-Finch Site, this position is responsible for the development of programs that will provide home-visiting primary care services largely to home-bound frail seniors in west Toronto. The Family Physician will work with an inter-professional team of family physicians, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, care coordinator and administrative assistant to provide primary care services for seniors that are complex, frail and marginalized with medical, functional, psychosocial and mental health issues. Working with the client services team and community services partners, the incumbent will ensure that quality client-focused services are delivered.
The position is fee-for-service, but there are no overhead costs except for personal vehicle expenses (there is no compensation for transportation beyond what is covered by billed OHIP fees). EMR (TELUS PS Suite), a laptop computer, and a work cell phone as well as allied health and administrative staff salaries are covered.
The successful candidate will have:
- Demonstrated experience in community-based primary care settings;
- An interest to work with older adults and serve them in their homes;
- Geriatrics focused-practice designation an asset but not required;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and sensitivity to the impact of social, economic, environmental and cultural issues on health;
- Ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team of clinical and program staff;
- License to practice medicine and membership in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario;
- Ability to cover other primary care providers for client care when they are not available;
- experience serving Unison’s priority populations (seniors with complex needs, people with mental health and addictions, LGBTTQ+, and youth facing barriers) an asset;
- Ability to speak a second language an asset.
The physician is compensated by billing OHIP fees. Overhead costs are covered by Unison.
Interested candidates are asked to email a résumé with covering letter by 4:00 p.m., December 13, 2018 to:
Hiring Committee – HBPC Physician
Unison Health and Community Services
Toronto ON M6A 2N4
Please cite UN_2018_034 in the subject line of the email.
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those who might need accommodation.
Where needed, accommodations for applicants with disabilities will be provided, on request, to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.