Front End Developer
Trupanion is a leading provider of medical insurance for cats and dogs in North America. Our mission is to help the pets we all love receive the veterinary care they need. At Trupanion, we offer a collaborative, casual, and pet-friendly environment where everyone is encouraged to be themselves.
With Trupanion’s commitment and investment in leading-edge insurance technology, we are looking for a full-stack developer to join our team. As a member of Trupanion's IT team, you will be joining an experienced team of developers, using the latest development toolsets to deliver our flagship solution. Working in an agile framework on a SAAS scalable cloud-based solution and it’s integrations, all within an Azure DevOps environment. You will work closely with fellow full-stack and front-end developers and collaborate with our Project Managers, Business Analysts, DevOps and QA teams to deliver new and enhanced features to our applications.
This position is an entirely remote role open to candidates anywhere in Canada. Candidates who prefer an in-office option may choose to work a hybrid schedule out of our North Vancouver office.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Work as a member of Agile project teams to define, estimate and complete agreed tasks to the timescales
- Develop and maintain well-functioning databases and applications
- Write effective RESTful APIs
- Involvement in the design of client-side and server-side architecture
- Test software to ensure integrity, accuracy, responsiveness and performance
- Add new features and enhance existing features according to the specification provided.
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues, providing IT support to other departments within Trupanion and its associated companies.
- Create and undertake unit tests, recording all results in accordance with the Trupanion’s procedures and best practice.
- Perform all work in accordance with the company’s documented development, OWASP, ISO27001 and PCI DSS standards and guidelines.
- Promote and embody Trupanion’s Team DNA in all aspects of your work and interactions with internal and external stakeholders
2 or more years of experience in a Software Development position focused on the following area:
- Working in an Azure application environment, developing scalable solutions
- Working in an Agile methodology, utilizing DevOps/CI/CD practices
- Extensive experience in .NET, ASP.NET, MVC and Core
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of Visual Studio and back-end languages (e.g. C#, Java), SQL Server and Entity Framework Core (ORM)
- Experience in building RESTful APIs and working with software version tracking/coordination tools (e.g. Git, Jira)
- Knowledge of development and management tools such as Swagger, Postman, SOAPUI, Node.js, MSTest, Docker, NuGet, NPM, OOD, N-Tier architectures and software patterns and techniques
- Experience applying SAST and DAST techniques to manage application security
- Ability to write quality unit tests
- Demonstrate a good understanding of current technology stacks
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, with strong accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability and track record of working as part of a busy team and work effectively under pressure to tight deadlines, and to think proactively and logically
- Excellent independent and team time management skills
- Must be decisive, able to focus on priorities
Education, Registration & Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems or related preferred, equivalent experience accepted.
Benefits and Perks:
- Bonus opportunities
- Employer-paid extended health coverage for you and your family
- Four weeks paid time off
- Five weeks, paid, sabbatical after five years of employment
- Restricted Stock Units
- Employer-paid medical insurance for one pet (cat or dog)
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Open, casual, pet-friendly, and fun work environment
We’re all about helping pets. We promote a cohesive and nimble team environment, and we hire, develop and promote team members. We trust each other. We are transparent and honest. We care about one another and want to see our team members succeed, personally and professionally. We strive to promote from within and reduce bureaucracy to allow creative thinking. We’re focused on providing continuous training and support to all team members to encourage long-term happiness and success.
Take a look inside our office and see for yourself:
We’re more than insurance – we’re a tech company too! Learn more about how you can use Trupanion to pay your vet directly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdWZ4KHiPTQ
Trupanion Team DNA:
At Trupanion, we achieve great things together when we are:
- Caring: We are kind to each other and assume positive intent.
- Collaborative: We work together to achieve company goals (we not me).
- Courageous: We are determined, take risks, and make bold moves.
- Curious: We seek new information to continually better ourselves and our work.
- Honest: We believe candid communication leads to successful teamwork.
- Inclusive: We welcome and value all people and perspectives.
- Nimble: We readily adapt and evolve in pursuit of progress and innovation.
For more information about Trupanion, visit http://trupanion.com/about
Trupanion is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, abilities, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.