Mentoring Recruitment Facilitator
Tropicana Community Services, a Toronto-based multiservice organization provides all youth, newcomers, people of Black and Caribbean heritage and others in need with opportunities and alternatives that lead to success and positive life choices. Our mission is achieved through culturally-appropriate programs such as counselling, child care, educational and employment services and youth development.
Job Title: Mentoring Recruitment Facilitator
Position Type: Permanent, Full-time
Department: Youth Development & Education
Location: Scarborough, ON
Primary Function: Recruit mentors – consistent, caring adults – from the Black and Caribbean community to support youth to pursue their goals related to education, employment, civic engagement/ leadership and help them build a strong cultural identity and recruit participants to access the mentoring opportunity.
- Plan, coordinate and recruit volunteer mentors including distribution of program marketing materials, presentations to targeted organizations and ensuring presence at key community events, etc.
- Outreach to institutions such as but not limited to schools and youth-serving organizations to recruit Black youth into the program
- Maintain a database of all contacts made which can be shared by other program staff
- In conjunction with Training & Matching Facilitator, conduct orientation and training of mentors with regard to the program’s expectations and to Tropicana’s other programs, encouraging them to make referrals where required
- In conjunction with Training & Matching Facilitator, conduct orientation with new mentee
- Develop partnerships with other youth program providers, especially mentoring programs, to provide mutually beneficial service
- Develop partnerships with Black-focused professional organizations and associations that would be able to provide positive role models and mentors to the youth
- Develop partnerships with various businesses to secure corporate sponsorships, keeping the Manager, Community Relations and Resource Development apprised of all communication to avoid duplication
- Provide input into monthly reports
- Attend conferences, meetings and workshops relevant to delivery of service where possible
- In conjunction with other staff, conduct outreach to promote awareness of the mentoring and other Tropicana programs
- Represent Tropicana at community forums and meetings relating to the programs
Skills & Qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in field related to community development and social service work ng with marketing experience
- Ability to engage mentors with diverse skills and interests from within the Black and Caribbean community
- Demonstrated innovation and creativity in outreach and marketing strategies an asset
- Well-honed social perceptive skills – awareness of the lived experience of others and how this affects the target group
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
- Exceptional written skills – accurately prepare documents that are coherent, grammatically correct and professional
- Proven organization skills – ability to keep track of potential candidates and the recruitment process
- Ability to work independently and effectively with little or no supervision
- Valid Police clearance required
Compensation: $ 40 900 per annum
Please apply in writing to:
Hiring Committee, Youth Development & Education
1385 Huntingwood Drive
Scarborough, ON M1S 3J1
Or by email to:
Closing: Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 4:30 PM
We thank all candidates for the interest shown, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Tropicana Community Services offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment processes. If you are contacted, please advise if you require accommodation.