Product Owner II
Discovery is at the heart of everything we do. Wherever you find us around the world, if you can think of a product, you can probably find it in our stores, we operate hundreds of stores in hundreds of cities around the world. In Canada, our retail chains include Winners, HomeSense, and Marshalls. With variety comes plenty of happy surprises-our environment is ever-changing, and that's just how we like it. Every day is an opportunity to discover something new about our business, our partnerships and even something exciting about yourself. Ready to Discover Different?
Riley is a Product Owner II in our IT Department. She is responsible for defining Stories and prioritizing the Team Backlog with possible direction from more experienced POs or the Product Manager (where these exist).
Fun fact: Developing talent is just as important as attracting it. When we first met Riley, we could see immense potential. We not only hired her for this role, but for the opportunities we knew she could grow into. Most organizations focus on the here and now. Well, we're not like most organizations. We also have a genuine interest in your future. So go for it, Riley, we are right there with you!
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Product Owner II , we'd ask you to do the following:
- Ensures that the team always has an adequate amount of prior prepared tasks to work on, with possible direction from more experienced POs or the Product Manager (where these exist)
- Analyzes business processes and elicits and defines user stories using industry standard techniques
- May provide limited guidance to less experienced POs
- Provides backlog management, iteration planning and elaboration of user stories
- Act as the liaison between the business and/or Agile Product Manager and the Scrum/Agile Team
- Takes direction from the Agile Product Manager (where these exist) on Feature prioritization and decomposes into user stories
- Refines the team backlog and ensures its visibility to stakeholders in order to prioritize user stories
- Supports a maximum of 1 Agile team
- Develops a strong understanding of targeted business operations and assists in the analysis of related business processes
- Acts as customer proxy and works with product management and other POs to prepare for the PI Planning meeting (where relevant)
- Attends relevant Product Management meetings about planning and backlog/Vision refinement
- As a member of the extended Product Management team, the PO may be involved in Program Backlog refinement
- With some guidance from more senior POs plays a key role in producing the System Demo for program and Value Stream holders
- With some guidance from more senior POs, drives iteration goals and iteration content via prioritized stories
- With some guidance from more senior POs, drives the story elaboration process for the Team, and ensures there is always a minimum of 2 sprints worth of ready stories in the backlog
- Ensures the team understands items in the team backlog to the level needed
- Ensures the team's iteration goals are aligned to the PI/TI Objectives
- Attends and actively participates in Team Ceremonies: Iteration Planning, Daily Scrum, Iteration Review, Iteration Retrospective
- If part of an Agile Release Train (ART) the PO attends and actively participates in Release Train Ceremonies: PI Planning, System Demo, ART Sync, Inspect & Adapt
- Collaborates with Product Manager (where these exist) and other Product Owners to define and coordinate feature development across other teams
- Displays an engineering mindset and systems thinking while understanding the economic view
- Only person on the Agile/Scrum Team empowered to accept stories as done and thereby fulfills a quality assurance function
- With some occasional guidance from the PM or more senior POs, makes priority decisions on the order of user stories in the product backlog in order to best achieve goals and business value
- PO oversees monthly strategy and manages day-to-day scrum needs, serving as the voice of the user while unblocking issues and driving delivery
- Participates in the development of story acceptance criteria
- Reviews all user stories to ensure inclusion in product backlog
- Developing competency translating business needs into user stories that Teams can develop into finished deliverables
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you.
But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges You have:
- 2+ years of relevant experience in an agile delivery framework, strategy or requirement development or Product Owner role
- Experienced hire - relevant business experience and demonstrated Business Analysis experience in requirements definition
- Relevant undergraduate BA, BS degree in IT or Business or equivalent experience.
- SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager (where these exist) (POPM) preferred
- Previous experience as a Product Owner, Business Analyst or similar knowledge of eliciting business requirements is required
- Good experience writing user stories and their acceptance criteria
- Works directly with product management, business sponsors, key stakeholders and agile scrum team(s) to ensure the solution meets the product vision and business objectives
- Ability to manage dependencies in and across sprints and releases
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others; establishing and maintaining good working relationships
- Competent knowledge of business analysis, project management, and product management concepts desired, along with an understanding of how enterprise software products are positioned and developed
- Good working knowledge of ALM tools, Jira and Confluence
Discover Different at TJX means opportunity, teamwork, and career growth. That's why working here is so much more than a job. When you're a part of our TJX family, you have the full support of a diverse, close-knit group of people in our Distributions Centres, Retail Stores or any of our Office locations. We work together to deliver the best value and style in the business. Our inventory is always changing and our approach is continually evolving, which means every day is another chance to Discover Different.
Here at TJX Canada we are an equal opportunity employer committed to the inclusion and accommodation of all individuals. For additional assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org.