Manager of Tax
Are you ready to explore career opportunities at TJX Canada and join our team? TJX Canada is part of The TJX Companies, Inc., the world's leading off-price retailer of apparel and homeware worldwide, and in Canada, our retail chains include Winners, Marshalls and HomeSense.
In the retail business, we move fast. We're always adapting, evolving and innovating. And the fast pace brings variety and challenge, along with many growth opportunities. We operate hundreds of stores in hundreds of cities.
TJX's retail chains include TJ Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods and Sierra Trading Post in the United States TK Maxx in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Poland, Austria and the Netherlands, as well as HomeSense in the United Kingdom and Ireland; and TK Maxx in Australia.
As a retailer committed to growth, success is always in style at TJX!
Brayden is a Manager of Tax in our Finance Department. He is responsible for leading the TJX Canada tax group, ensuring TJX Canada's corporate and partnership entities remain compliant with federal and provincial income tax, including Foreign Affiliate rules, GST, HST and PST regulations, and assists with global income tax reporting.
What is the secret to great leadership? Brayden says its collaboration. He believes that a team is greater than the sum of its parts. He's built a highly diverse team that ambitiously pursues their goals. And we have a funny feeling we know where they learned such behavior. That's the thing about great leaders. People follow in their footsteps.
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Manager of Tax, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Leads all federal, provincial, GST, HST and PST tax filings including Canadian Foreign Affiliate filings and calculations (ACB, FAPI, exempt surplus, etc.); ensures payments are made in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist with administration and resolution of income tax audits / ensure compliance.
- Oversees the administration and compliance with provincial and GST, HST and PST tax requirements including inquiries and tax audits.
- Identify any changes in federal and provincial legislative tax laws, and determine impact to the business.
- Oversee all required documentation to support positions taken on local tax returns and maintain tax audit files. Develop strategic initiatives to improve audit documentation process.
- Working knowledge of tax laws of the USA / Determine how legislative changes in Canada impact US/global income tax reporting of The TJX Companies, Inc.
- Partner with global tax team to document and defend significant cross-border transactions.
- Support team with compilation of quarterly and annual income tax provision for the three TJX Canada entities in accordance with ASC740 for TJX Group's global income tax provision.
- Oversee Canadian components of the determination of global income tax rate forecasts.
- Provide support and direction in the Compilation of Canadian entity information for US income tax return reporting.
- Support expatriate and short term business assignment tax and reporting requirements.
- Oversees insurance matters and environmental fee filings.
- Coach and Mentor team, to improve knowledge of commodity tax / insurance teams in activities and responsibilities.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you.
But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges.
- Experience as a tax lawyer or CPA, (Canadian CA) with a minimum of five years Canadian Taxation and related experience, completion of In-Depth Tax Course.
- In depth knowledge of Canadian corporate taxation including Canadian Foreign Affiliate Rules of the Income Tax Act, in connection with a U.S. based multi-national enterprise or equivalent public accounting firm experience.
- Income tax accounting experience in accordance with U.S. GAAP
- Ability to research Canadian tax issues and communicate findings from such research.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as to work well in a team oriented environment, with experience managing a team.
- Advanced problem solving skills including analysis of information and research skills.
- Excellent communication skills including facilitation skills, verbal skills (dealing with internal Associate inquiries as well as external contacts); and written (reports, memos, follow-ups, etc.).
- Excellent issue management skills including organizational skills; interviewing skills; interpersonal skills including information gathering including active listening skills.
- Computer skills including word-processing applications, advanced spreadsheet (MS Excel,), ERP G/L package, preferably Oracle.
- Managerial skills including the recruitment, selection, and orientation of staff; coaching and counseling team members; assistance in providing advice and guidance to associates in the resolution of problems; evaluating performance and providing feedback to team members.
Success is our favorite outfit! As proud as we are of our past success, it's our future that excites us most. We strive to provide opportunities for growth, recognition and a competitive salary and benefits package. Share our determination to think bolder and bigger and be part of our future. Apply now.
Here at TJX Canada we are an equal opportunity employer committed to the inclusion and accommodation of all individuals. For additional assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org.