Lease Administration Specialist
Are you ready to explore career opportunities at TJX Canada and join our team? TJX Canada is part of The TJX Companies, Inc., the world's leading off-price retailer of apparel and homeware worldwide, and in Canada, our retail chains include Winners, Marshalls and HomeSense.
In the retail business, we move fast. We're always adapting, evolving and innovating. And the fast pace brings variety and challenge, along with many growth opportunities. We operate hundreds of stores in hundreds of cities.
TJX's retail chains include TJ Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods and Sierra Trading Post in the United States TK Maxx in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Poland, Austria and the Netherlands, as well as HomeSense in the United Kingdom and Ireland; and TK Maxx in Australia.
As a retailer committed to growth, success is always in style at TJX!
Stefano is a Lease Administration Specialist in our Finance Department. He is responsible for monthly rent payments and reconciliation of all rental charges. Works closely with landlords as well as the Operational Accounting, Property Development and Store Operations departments to ensure all rental charges billed are paid properly and in accordance with Lease Agreements.
Fun fact: Developing talent is just as important as attracting it. When we first met Stefano, we could see immense potential. We not only hired him for this role, but for the opportunities we knew he could grow into. Most organizations focus on the here and now. Well, we're not like most organizations. We also have a genuine interest in your future. So go for it, Stefano, we are right there with you!
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Lease Administration Specialist, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Conducts the timely preparation for payment and first level approval of all CAM (common area maintenance), property tax invoices, landlord billed utilities and other occupancy changes under our leases. Presents all occupancy related charges to management for approval and payment under the guidelines of the TJXC Approval Authority Schedule (AA).
- Prepares desk audits of landlord's billings to ensure accuracy and compliance with Lease Agreements through constant scrutiny, analysis of payment history and the comparison with similar properties.
- Conducts the negotiation of disputed charges with landlords based on lease interpretation while maintaining a sound business and working relationship.
- Assists in the first review and approval by Lease Administration of all new leases and lease amendments relating to the input of data into the Lease Administration database.
- Maintains the ongoing update of the Lease Administration database as to rental charges and reconciliations.
- Maintains day-to-day liaison with in-house legal and contracted third party legal representatives in the event of rental disputes. Assistance in the preparation of evidence for arbitration or other litigation by preparing reports demonstrating payment history, compliance errors relating to our lease agreement, the financial impact of disputed issues and the assembly of supportive material as required.
- Maintains day-to-day liaison with contracted third party field audit and realty tax consultants. Assist Manager of Lease Administration, Property Tax & Energy Services in the determination of third party consultant assignments.
- Provides assistance to the Senior Analyst - Lease Administration, Expenses Payable, Financial Accounting, and Property Development departments with all rent related figures, which they need in order to perform their functions properly. This includes providing detailed rental payment estimates on existing, new, and amended lease agreements for budgetary purposes.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining departmental reports (i.e. tracking of billings received and settled, and the tracking of savings realized).
- Special Lease Administration Projects as determined by management.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges. You have:
- Post Secondary Education in a related field (e.g. math, science, economics, business, finance, accounting) or equivalent industry experience.
- Minimum three to five years of related lease administration/occupancy payment experience on the landlord or tenant side (landlord experience preferred). Knowledge of property management software systems an asset.
- Working knowledge of general ledgers, assets and liabilities, debits and credits; familiarity with landlords' accounting/allocation practices as well as lease clauses and their impacts.
- Issue management skills including; information gathering; customer service; and interpersonal skills including conflict management; time management skills (making rent payments to landlords on time to avoid penalty and default on lease, etc.); organizational skills including insuring that rent and rent adjustment payments are made in a timely manner and that the General Ledger reflects these payments and keeping detailed files on each lease regarding the invoices charged from the commencement of the lease.
- Problem solving skills (identifying and correcting errors as they occur, attention to detail) including analysis and research .
- Strong lease interpretation skills. Understanding of how legal arguments are to be structured so that disputes can be resolved in a timely manner. Front line negotiating skills and experience.
- Knowledge of Canadian realty tax assessment methodologies and the impact this has coupled with lease clauses pertaining to realty taxes to determine the proper allocation to be used.
- Strong communication skills including written (reports and letters), verbal (good listening and comprehension) skills when dealing with various departments, management, landlords, etc.
- Intermediate computer skills including word-processing, spreadsheets (i.e. Excel), and e-mail.
Success is our favorite outfit! As proud as we are of our past success, it's our future that excites us most. We strive to provide opportunities for growth, recognition and a competitive salary and benefits package. Share our determination to think bolder and bigger and be part of our future. Apply now.
Here at TJX Canada we are an equal opportunity employer committed to the inclusion and accommodation of all individuals. For additional assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org.