Assistant Store Manager, Marshalls, Hillcrest Mall
Your surprise is waiting! Come check out the opportunities at Marshalls, where we strive to provide opportunities for growth, recognition and work-life balance. Marshalls delivers customers great value on ever-changing selections of brand name and designer fashions at prices generally 20%-60% below department and specialty store regular prices on comparable merchandise, every day. The only thing better than shopping at Marshalls is working at Marshalls!
You can also feel good knowing that Marshalls is part of The TJX Companies, Inc., a Fortune 100 company and the largest off-price retailer of apparel and home fashions in the U.S. and worldwide. In addition to Marshalls, TJX's retail chains include TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post and Homesense, as well as tjmaxx.com and sierratradingpost.com in the U.S.; Winners, HomeSense and Marshalls in Canada; TK Maxx in the U.K., Ireland, Germany, Poland, Austria and the Netherlands, as well as Homesense and tkmaxx.com in the U.K.; and TK Maxx in Australia. As a retailer committed to growth, success is always in style at TJX!
Layla is an Assistant Store Manager of Merchandise. She is responsible for overseeing and ensuring the efficient operation of key areas such as backroom, merchandising and presentation standards and assists in managing service areas, markdowns, cash office and maintenance.
It's easy to create a team. But what makes the team work? We believe it's having individuals like Layla on board. She creates momentum by inspiring colleagues to think outside the box and share ideas freely. Teamwork means striving for a work environment where each team member is valued for their individual talents and ideas. And that's how Layla contributes here with us.
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Assistant Store Managers we'd ask you to do the following:
- Create an environment that fosters open communication and information sharing among all Associates, Coordinators and Managers.
- Praise and recognize efforts and results by providing timely feedback to Coordinators and Associates. Counsel and provide disciplinary actions Associates if required.
- Create and maintain active Development Plans * for self and Coordinators.
- Participate and support the other Assistant Managers with recruitment.
- Provide recognition, counseling and disciplinary actions to store Associates in a consistent and timely manner.
- Prepare and conduct evaluations for all Associates and Coordinators that work primarily in the backroom and sales floor areas.
- Maintain and support all company values, leadership competencies and culture factors, code of conduct and maintenance of a risk-free environment.
- Provide coaching, training and development on policies, procedures for Merchandise Coordinator and all Salesfloor Associates.
- Review receiving, processing, merchandising, trends, and opportunities with the SM and respective Coordinators to meet and align business and customer needs.
- During store visits from Regional Teams, District Managers, Home Office or any other visitor, be prepared with your stores current state and future goals and or challenges for; sales, productivity, event execution and operational issues. Use this time to discuss all of the activities, issues, new programs or plans of action you have implemented in operations.
- Actively Participate in Management Meetings and lead Coordinator Meetings.
- Communicate sales goals & other financial/business information daily to Coordinators and Associates. Coach and provide direction on how to utilize the information to drive sales for their given areas of responsibility.
- Periodically complete a comparison analysis of other retailers and provide feedback to store team during Management meetings to become aware of potential cannibalization and/or market competition. Develop an action plan to sustain or improve sales.
- Provide weekly updates on objectives and identify any issues or opportunities pertaining to the backroom, merchandise and presentation standards and compliance. Utilize the Door to Floor and Item by Item (IBI) Reference Guides * and other applicable reference guides to coach and model efficiencies in all business areas. Discuss action plans to resolve any issues Discuss priorities, projects, initiatives and goals for the week.
- Adhere to all TJX Canada policies and procedures.
- Create and validate CRT's * assigned are completed to standard.
- Exemplifies 'Total Store Awareness' and full accountability for the business in the absence of the AM or Operations, AM of Customer Service and/or Store Manager.
- Have a full understanding of TJX Canada standards and continuously monitor store's actual performance and execution against these standards.
- Execute all policies and procedures to reduce risk and expense, example; following store opening and closing procedures.
- Directly responsible for the execution of the Health & Safety Program including reporting.
- Support operational areas such as cash office, service areas and markdowns in the absence of the AM of Customer Service and/or Operations.
- In the absence of the Store Manager, complete the Master Store Tour * and discuss with management to determine execution plan.
- Support and execute the Joy Project * to drive the importance of building strong connections between Managers, Associates, and Customers.
- Address customer service issues and provide appropriate coaching to Associates.
- Exercise discretion regarding customer service policies in order to maintain customer satisfaction.
- Interact with customers in Service Areas to gain feedback, communicate feedback to Store Manager.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges. You have:
- College Diploma or University degree preferred; minimum requirement high school education
- Related work experience
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, lead large groups, develop people, execute
- Ability to problem solve; high degree of decision making, and able to prioritize in a fast paced and changing store environment
- Responsible for sales between $8 to $20 million
- Responsible up to eighty (80) Associates per Store
Health and Safety:
- Health and Safety in the workplace applies to everyone at WMI.
- An Internal Responsibility System makes all parties in the workplace jointly responsible and equally involved to act on all Health and Safety matters.
What's In It For You?
In addition to our open door policy and supportive work environment, we also strive to provide a competitive salary and benefits package.
TJX considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status, or based on any individual's status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. TJX also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.