Life Skills Worker, Relief (Posting No. 19-10-129)
We are currently seeking Relief Life Skills Workers in the following areas:
Housing Support Services
Extraordinary Needs Program
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
Relief Life Skills Workers are part of a team supporting people who live in our group homes and are experiencing mental health and addiction issues to enable them to fulfill their goals identified in their individualized support plan. Relief Workers provide support for the individuals we serve in the areas of supportive counseling, crisis intervention and prevention, skills development (life skills, social skills, interpersonal and problem solving skills) and vocational leisure support.
HOURS OF WORK:
This is a casual position with regularly scheduled weekend shifts, including days (8:00am to 4:00pm), afternoons (4:00pm-midnight), and awake overnight shifts (midnight-8:00 a.m.). Rotations guarantee 1 to 2 shifts per week. This position is also available for additional short notice and public holiday shifts.
- Minimum of a relevant University Degree or College Health Sciences/Social Services Diploma. Candidates with Degrees/Diplomas in progress will be considered (students are welcome to apply).
- 1-2 years of experience working with individuals with mental health and/or addiction concerns.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to respect rights and personal preference in treatment, rehabilitation and support including the Recovery Model.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team and work a variety of all shifts.
- Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act.
- Obvious passion for community-based mental health and social services.
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Has a valid G-Class driver’s license and insurance, personal transportation
- Ability to provide a current and satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Additional qualifications such as NVCI, ASIST, First Aid, suicide prevention and CPR would also be an asset.
- Building rapport, assessment, crisis de-escalation, conflict management, professionalism
If you are interested in the position, please apply online by visiting our careers website.