Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Reports to: Director of Communications and Marketing
Summary of Position:
The Communications Specialist is responsible for the development and delivery of key communications initiatives that support the strategic objectives of the school, promote its vision, mission and values, and uphold its brand and standards.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Manages the development and production of print and digital collaterals, working with department staff and vendors to achieve a high level of quality and innovation, and an accurate reflection of the BSS brand and communications standards
- Produces editorial, news articles and advertising copy which promote the brand and accurately reflect the work of the school
- Acts as Managing Editor of the semi-annual BSS Link magazine, including conducting interviews and research for each article
- Leads content development and production of the semi-annual BSS Link magazine, overseeing writing, photography, design, printing and distribution
- Develops and maintains efficient department systems, policies, regulations and processes, upholding industry best practices in project management and oversees major department projects
- Prioritizes and manages school-wide support requests, liaising with other departments to confirm and clarify goals and deliverables
- Monitors and upholds the BSS brand and communications standards, editing and proofing all materials for quality control and provides guidance, support and consultation to other departments on strategic communications, branding and project management
- Oversees work of professional designers
- Handles office administration, including organizing vendor invoicing and department meetings
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ communications and marketing experience, preferably in a not-for-profit, agency and/or education setting
- Communications degree or diploma and/or a related combination of experience, including project management
- A skilled writer, with demonstrated ability and experience producing editorial, news articles and advertising copy
- Superior strategic communications, writing and editing skills in digital and print platforms
- Project management expertise, ability to prioritize and meet tight timelines
- Data generation, analysis and measurement skills
- Digital design skills and high level of expertise within Mac environment
- Professional manner, customer-service orientation and comfortable with fast-paced environment
- Positive, creative, collaborative and organized
- Ability to manage changing priorities, concurrent projects and demanding deadlines
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends during the school year
- A sense of humour
- Commitment to and passion for the vision, mission and values of the school.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Communications Specialist position in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school
and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca