Sysco is the global leader in selling, marketing and distributing food products, equipment and supplies to restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, lodging establishments and other customers who prepare meals away from home. We have a forty-year history of consistent success and now serve over 400,000 customers, delivering approximately 1.3 billion cases yearly. (NYSE: SYY)
For more information, visit www.sysco.ca or follow us @SyscoCanada at facebook.com/SyscoCanada; twitter.com/SyscoCanada or instagram.com/SyscoCanada
For a full list of opportunities, visit www.sysco.ca/careers
Reporting to the Director of Operations, this position is responsible for efficiently managing transportation operations in a manner that provides maximum service to customers while maintaining safety/DOT requirements and cost effectiveness. In addition, this position also resolves independent contracted driver ("ICA") issues and concerns while maintaining a cooperative relationship. Your exceptional leadership and organizational skills will help you maximize customer satisfaction and reduce delivery costs.
- Supervise direct reports with the intent to retain and motivate. Train, develop, empower, coach and counsel, manage performance, resolve problems, and provide open communication. Assist in the hiring of the most qualified staff as required. Work with Human Resources to discipline or performance manage associates as required. Facilitate regular staff meetings and problem solving sessions.
- Maintaining an interactive working relationship with all Transportation Vendor's and 3rd party carriers. Effectively manage concerns of ICA's. This includes routing, loading and customer location issues. Coordinate scheduling of drivers to provide maximum service. Monitor and analyze delivery network to ensure routes are optimized. Oversee and resolve administrative issues relating to ICA, carriers and payment for services.
- Controlling day to day operation for all outbound freight. Continuously work towards reduction of short and damage on trucks, route profitability, metric reporting.
- Assist in administration of annual operating budget. Effectively control costs and utilize ICA's network through planning, organizing scheduling to reduce expense. Proactively work towards increasing productivity by reducing miles and improving equipment utilization. Reduce fuel, vehicle maintenance, insurance, roadside vehicle inspections and labour costs.
- Ensuring fleet files are up to date in compliance with Transport Canada. Ensuring all ICA's and their drivers files are kept to date in compliance with Transport Canada.
- Ensures a safe, healthy and secure work environment; ensures that the Health and Safety Policy is upheld. Working with all levels of management to ensure they are supporting the warehouse's safety activities and maintaining a safe work environment for drivers. Meeting regularly with the Supervisors and Health & Safety to review safety statistics, accident investigations, disability management, hazard identification efforts and overall plans of improving safety in the warehouse: this could be through training, awareness campaigns, and rewards.
- Respond to customer (internal & external) communication; brainstorm solutions that will meet or exceed customers' expectations. Act as a role model for customer service excellence.
- Develop strong and effective relationship with Sales team. Maintain high level of customer service for both internal and external customers. Communicating with sales on all routing and customer challenges.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in Business Management, Supply Chain Management or similar preferred.
- One to three years related experience.
- Ability to successfully engage and lead individual and team discussions and meetings.
- Ability to manage the pressures and stress associated with a deadline-oriented atmosphere and customer service issues. Demonstrates skill in making independent decisions in support of company policies and procedures in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software, and ability to learn Sysco technology software and programs. Must have excellent computer skills.
- Capable of working with peers and other associates in a proactive and constructive manner. Able to problem solve and proactively effectively deal with a wide range of issues involving Employees, Customers and Management.
- Ability to set priorities and follow through on tasks.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of OH&S Act and Ministry of Transportation legislation.
- Class 1 driver's license would be considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of Roadnet dispatch system would be considered an asset.
Note: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Core Qualities for all Associates: Sysco's Leadership Framework Basics
Integrity & Accountability Flexibility & Adaptability Proactive Learning
Internal candidates apply via the Career Centre on your HR Portal / ADP Workforce Now.
External candidates submit cover letter & resume via www.sysco.ca/careers
Sysco's Mission is to market and deliver great products to our customers with exceptional service. Sysco's Vision is to be our customers' most valued and trusted business partner. We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds expectations.
Sysco is committed to Employment Equity. Accommodations during the recruitment process are available upon request for candidates with disabilities.
Here's a sample of the many benefits Sysco associates enjoy:
Comprehensive Flexible Benefits including Health and Dental, Health Care Spending and Wellness Accounts • Short-Term and Long-Term Disability • Life Insurance • Company Pension Plan • Group RRSP • Employee and Family Assistance • Stock Purchase Plan • Unlimited on-line learning through Sysco Interactive University • Sysco product discounts • Preferred vendor discounts • Free on-site parking • Employee appreciation events • (*benefits may vary based on location or bargaining unit)