Co-op Student, Chemical Engineering
Co-op positions at Suncor are more than just a work term. They provide you with meaningful and challenging work experiences to help enable you to determine where you want your career to go - better yet, many of our co-op students go on to become permanent Suncor employees after they graduate! You will work side-by-side with some of the most talented people in the energy industry, and your work assignments and mentoring will offer you extraordinary academic and career growth.
In this position, you will develop your professional skills, establish relationships and explore how Chemical Engineering functions either in our upstream (oil sands and in situ), downstream (refinery) operations, Fort Hills major projects and business services.
Depending on the role, tasks and responsibilities may include (but are not limited to) any of the following:
- Assist in the completion of engineering work packages and material requisition packages
- Participate in the development of solutions to technical issues and in the verification of implementation of these solutions
- Understand and optimize current operations and develop, maintain and implement a long-term depletion plan and make forecasts by using numerical simulation
- Develop tools for tracking process data for analysis and metrics reporting
- Review daily production data for accuracy and bring together in data management systems
- Prepare and present summary reports, performance metrics reports, graphical representation and presentations, as required
- Provide regulatory support to growth applications
- Assist with developing production profiles to support long range plans
- Optimize completion designs of pumps, instrumentation, flow controls and tubular
Experience and Education:
- Currently enrolled in a formal co-op program in 3rd or 4th year Chemical Engineering at an accredited post-secondary institution, and returning to full-time studies after the work term
- Attach your transcripts with your application and clearly indicate the length of work term for which you are available
- Possess a valid driver's licence and a clean driving record
Skills and Knowledge:
- Working knowledge of process system software, MATLAB, ASPEN Plus, 2D Drafting using AUTOCAD, and/ or process system modeling using HYSYS is an asset
- Strong computer skills with intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel
- Continually seek knowledge and understanding: you strive to understand the systems, processes and hazards in and around the workplace
- Work accuracy, attention to detail and ability to analyze data is fundamental
- Ability to perform mass and energy balance calculations is ideal
- This position will be based in Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray and Fort Hills for an 8 or 12-month work term, from September 2018 - August 2019
- This position has been identified as safety sensitive
- Relocation support will be provided if approved for the position; we offer highly competitive housing assistance to eligible candidates
Start your career at one of Canada's leading companies. Suncor looks for people who have the best to offer, and provides the same in return. We are committed to sustainable, ethical growth - Suncor is a company where you can contribute in a meaningful way, grow your skills and career, and achieve success.
As stewards of valuable natural resources, we have the opportunity - and responsibility - to help build a better future. By supporting resilience, skill development and social well-being in the communities around us, we strive to create shared value and benefit for all involved.
Our employees are passionate and proud about giving back to the communities where they live and work. Their involvement makes a difference in helping to build sustainable communities.
Through programs like SunCares, supported by Suncor and the Suncor Energy Foundation, we inspire our employees and retirees to contribute to social well-being, support the causes that are important to them and help us all work together to strengthen our communities and create energy for a better world.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. At Suncor, we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communitities in which we live, and where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.