Co-op Student - Environmental Advisor
As the co-op student, environmental advisor under the strategic direction of the manager of reclamation, you will be member of a team comprised of professional engineers, environmental specialists and other students. In this dynamic, field based role, you will be planning and conducting field surveys (water sampling, weed management, biological terrestrial & aquatic), data control, logistics and support daily reclamation & environmental planning operations at Fort Hills.
- Participate in field surveys for ongoing environmental programs and collect samples such as surface and groundwater, aquatic invertebrates, vegetation, fish, algae etc.
- Prepare samples for lab analysis and handle the shipments
- Analysis and/or ID field samples such as Aquatic Invertebrates, vegetation and fish
- Enter and manage field data into various software
- Co-ordinate field logistics such as accommodations, flights, and rentals etc. for staff and contractors
- Support daily operations such as equipment maintenance, contractor support, safety reports etc.
Experience and Education
- Previous field survey experience would be considered an asset
- First aid experience is an asset
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED) 2nd, 3rd or 4th year student enrolled in a sciences or engineering program with an environmental focus
- Possess a valid driver's license and a clean driving record
- Currently enrolled in an accredited post-secondary institution, and returning to full-time studies after the work term
- Attach your transcripts with your application in order to be considered; clearly indicate the length of work term for which you are available
Skills and Knowledge
- Capable of safely operating a truck on non-maintained roads. (additional training will be provided for off road vehicles)
- You enjoy field work, are physically fit and have no issues handling fish and bugs
- Experience with boats and utility task vehicles (UTV's)
- You have used GPS or GIS mapping
- Intermediate to strong Microsoft Office skills along with knowledge of ArcGIS
- Strong attention to detail and strong written and verbal communications
- You understand the challenges and issues with environmental protection/reclamation in Alberta oil sands
- This position has been identified as safety sensitive
- This is a camp-based position at the Fort Hills site located in Northern Alberta (fly in fly out from Edmonton or Calgary)
- This is an 8 or 12 month term starting in January 2018
Start your career at one of Canada's leading companies. Suncor looks for people who have the best to offer, and provides the same in return. We are committed to sustainable, ethical growth - Suncor is a company where you can contribute in a meaningful way, grow your skills and career, and achieve success.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Suncor is committed to accessibility and accommodations will be provided to applicants upon request. At Suncor, we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.