Rehabilitation (Health Management) Specialist
This role is for the Niagara Region or Hamilton area
Are you interested in contributing to the health of Canadians? At Sun Life, we believe health is a significant determinant of success for both organizations and individuals; the two are intimately and materially linked. If you are interested in playing a proactive and positive role in this pursuit, we want you to join our company. Are you a natural problem solver, a compelling communicator, service oriented and able to demonstrate empathy? Are you motivated to collaborate with others to assess situations and develop solutions? If so, consider a career as a Rehabilitation (Health Management) Consultant at Sun Life Financial where we believe in the relentless pursuit of better health and where we support our clients and their employees in this journey. Our rehabilitation consultants can make a difference in our customers’ lives and in return we actively support their professional development by offering a dynamic workplace, challenging and rewarding work and opportunities to build a career!
As a Rehabilitation (Health Management) Specialist: You will be responsible to work in partnership with our Disability Case Managers in the management of disability claims towards resolution. The focus of the Rehabilitation Specialist is to provide high quality rehabilitation services in collaboration with our stakeholders including plan members (employees), plan sponsors (employers), internal partners and the member’s health care team. Providing effective health management services contributes to client satisfaction and retention of group disability business. This role is multidimensional and is focused on determining the right interventions to support recovery, return to work, vocational planning and reduced durations for workplace absences.
This role reports to the Manager, Health Management Services, Group Disability.
What will you do?
- Build strong relationships with our Plan Sponsors, working in partnership with them to address their workplace absence issues
- Engage plan members through open and respectful communication to understand the medical, functional, social and personal dimensions of their work absence
- Perform functionally focused assessment interviews with plan members to determine the most suitable rehabilitation and vocational goals, in keeping with the terms of the group insurance contract
- Develop and maintain outcome-focused case management plans , in keeping with the overall claims strategy developed by the Disability Case Manager, to help plan members return to work
- Work collaboratively with case managers, plan members, plan sponsors, lawyers, health care practitioners and other stakeholders to obtain information, create action plans and communicate progress towards recovery, while maintaining confidentiality and privacy
- Identify and assess medical and non-medical influencing factors pre and post disability, functional capability, restrictions and limitations to better understand what support is needed to get plan members back to work
- Employ creativity to deliver day-to-day solutions that harmonize plan sponsor, plan member and business needs
- Contribute to a dynamic work environment by identifying opportunities to improve processes and customer service delivery
What do you need to succeed?
- Critical thinking and stellar customer service skills
- Excellent listening skills and capacity for empathy
- Outstanding communication skills – written and verbal
- Resilience to deal with stressful situations
- Ability to deliver difficult news in a tactful and sensitive manner while effectively conveying the message
- A positive attitude with a commitment to quality service
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves to uncover information
- Attention to detail with complex claims and contracts
- Analytical skills with a passion for solving problems
- Coaching skills
- Vocational planning experience
- Adaptability, flexibility and strong decision making skills
- Strong cross-functional team skills with the ability to work independently
- Computer literacy; working knowledge of Word, Lotus Notes, Excel, Internet Search
- Post-secondary degree with preference in Human Sciences/Disability Management
- Group disability insurance experience
- Training in a health or vocational rehabilitation profession
- CCRC (Canadian Certified Rehabilitation Counsellor / RRP (Registered Rehabilitation Professional) / CVP (Certified Vocational Professional) designation or working to achieve one
- NIDMAR Certification - Certified Return to Work Coordinator (CRTWC) or Certified Disability Management Professional (CDMP)
- Regulated health care background
- Geographically located in the catchment area of the Niagara Region or Hamilton area
- Valid driver’s license and reliable car
- Ability to travel extensively by car/air with occasional overnight travel
- Ability to work independently in a home office environment
What’s in it for you?
- Our commitment to service excellence and quality, innovation and talent development
- Career progression is based on solid performance, knowledge of our business and products, positive engagement with our customers, and your interests opening up a wide variety of career paths within Sun Life
- Ability to work in a dynamic, collaborative environment where you are encouraged to share your ideas
- Comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, life, and disability insurance
- Retirement savings and Stock purchase plan
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- Tuition assistance
- Fitness facilities or subsidiaries in specific locations
- A supportive and interactive team environment
- Comprehensive training programs from the start of employment and ongoing coaching to set you up for success
- At Sun Life Financial, we want to help people shine.
Sound like you? If this opportunity to contribute to the health of organizations and individuals speaks to you, we want to meet you!
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range: 48,900/48 900 - 80,000/80 000
Job Category: Claims - Life & Disability
Posting End Date: 14/08/2019