Manager, Group Disability
At Sun Life, we work together, share common values and encourage growth and achievement. We offer many career paths that attract a wide variety of talent and skills. Follow a path that lets your talents shine.
Are you interested in contributing to the health of Canadians? At Sun Life, we believe health is a significant determinant of success for both organizations and individuals; the two are intimately and materially linked. If you are interested in playing a proactive and positive role in this pursuit, we want you to join our company. Are you a well-organized visionary leader, service oriented, experienced in disability management and able to demonstrate empathy? Are you able to see the big picture, along with the critical detail and understand how to cultivate behaviour in your team to drive results? If so, consider applying your skills and experience to a leadership position with Group Disability at Sun Life Financial where we believe in the relentless pursuit of better health and where we support our clients and their employees in this journey. You would be supporting our disability case managers in making a difference in our customers' lives and in return we actively support your professional development by offering a dynamic workplace, challenging and rewarding work and opportunities to build a career!
As Manager, Group Disability:
You will be responsible for the daily management of a disability claims team with accountability for the profitability of the group disability clients through effectively managed claims by your team. Effective management of resources and budget are needed to ensure the staffing levels are appropriate to effectively and efficiently handle disability claims for your assigned clients. Reporting to the Director, Group Disability, you will:
- Build a stable, collaborative team of disability management professionals through recruiting ideal candidates who will fit with our culture, have strong customer service focus and expert skill in disability management, and provide ongoing coaching for the team's continued development
- Build strong relationships with our Plan Sponsors, working in partnership with them to address their workplace absence issues
- Demonstrate an excellent knowledge of group insurance, disabilities and claims management strategies
- Exhibit solid communication, organizational and people skills in order to effectively manage client relationships
- Act as the primary resource for your assigned team, giving staff direction on overall office targets, workload management, difficult cases, department workflow and processes
- Proactively address clients' needs and address complaints that may be escalated to you
- Help your team to prioritize work items in order to meet client service standards and Sun Life best practice guidelines
- Contribute to a dynamic work environment by identifying opportunities to continuously improve processes to better meet our service excellence, quality and financial commitments to our customers
- Contribute to the ongoing business retention and growth by cultivating excellence in your team and continuous proactive engagement with your assigned clients to ensure full understanding of their evolving needs and how we can meet and exceed their expectations with respect to their group disability program
What sets us apart?
- Our commitment to service excellence and quality, innovation and talent development
- Career progression is based on solid performance, knowledge of our business and products, positive engagement with our customers, and your interests opening up a wide variety of career paths within Sun Life
- Ability to work in a dynamic, collaborative environment where you are encouraged to share your ideas
- Comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, life, and disability insurance
- Retirement savings and Stock purchase plan
- Paid vacation
- Tuition assistance
- Fitness facilities or subsidiaries in specific locations
- A supportive and interactive team environment
- Comprehensive training programs from the start of employment and ongoing coaching to set you up for success
- At Sun Life Financial, we want to help people shine.
What you bring to the table:
- Infectiously positive attitude with a drive to succeed and a commitment to quality service
- Critical thinking and stellar customer service skills
- Excellent listening skills and capacity for empathy
- Outstanding communication skills – written and verbal
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
- Ability to deliver difficult news in a tactful and sensitive manner
- Analytical skills with a passion for solving problems
- Adaptability, flexibility and strong decision making skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead through change
- Performance management assessments for direct reports
- Development and growth of team
- Recruiting and resolution of employee performance issues
- Quality assurance and achievement of service standards and monthly targets
- Establishing and deepening client relationships as a primary representative of Group Disability for your assigned block of clients
- Working with Business Development, you will sometimes be required to present at finalist presentations or act as a resource in developing our business
- foster a strong relationship with Business Development to support proactive client management for assigned clients
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Solid organizational and motivational skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; ability to speak to trends, stats, report cards on clients' disability experience
- Good presentation skills
- Knowledge and work experience in group insurance with disability focus
- Minimum of 5 years leadership experience
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent business experience
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range: 72 300/ - 108 400/
Job Category: Claims - Life & Disability
Posting End Date: 31/07/2019