At Sun Life, we work together, share common values and encourage growth and achievement. We offer many career paths that attract a wide variety of talent and skills. Follow a path that lets your talents shine.
Are you an analytical person who enjoys working with numbers? Are you interested in assessing risk and understanding the financial drivers of insurance profit? Do you thrive in an environment where multi-tasking is required? Do you love learning? Are you a strong communicator? Are you motivated to collaborate with others to develop solutions that meet client needs? If so, consider a career as a Group Underwriter at Sun Life Financial.
As a Group Underwriter:
You will be responsible for the risk selection and pricing of Group Life, Disability, Health, Dental and Critical Illness benefits. This includes renewing our existing business, providing pricing and advice on plan change requests as well as assessing new business opportunities. You will work closely with our sales team to meet sales and profitability objectives as well as client needs.
What will you do?
- Complete renewals, quotations and respond to client requests within service standards
- Develop a strong understanding of our products and services, underwriting guidelines, systems and tools, pricing methodologies and the marketplace
- Assess risk and determine the price, financial and contractual conditions of Sun Life's Group Benefits offering for each Plan Sponsor
- Develop an understanding of the administrative, contractual and legislative Group Benefits environment
- Build strong relationships with our sales people, working in partnership with them to sell renewals and quotations
- Work with our sales people to ensure a clear understanding of our clients, their needs and their respective risk profiles
- Strive to meet client needs, including providing insight and creative solutions to help solve client issues around risk and cost of their group benefits plan
What do you need to succeed?
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills
- A thoughtful approach to decision making with an ability to apply judgement to unique situations
- A solutions mind set where you are able to balance the needs for profit against growth
- A curiosity about our clients and their needs where you are constantly looking for creative ways to do the best for us and them
- Ability to negotiate and make decisive timely decisions
- Ability to work effectively with Microsoft and Excel application
- Highly organised with excellent time management skills
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong cross-functional team skills
- Ability to clearly explain your decisions, both written and verbal
- A positive attitude with a commitment to high quality work and service excellence
- Be required to complete the CEBS Group Benefits Associate (GBA) certificate within 3 years from date of hire
What's in it for you?
- Comprehensive training and development programs from the start of employment and ongoing that set you up for success
- Career progression opportunities within Underwriting and a variety of other career paths within Sun Life
- A supportive and interactive team environment
- A comprehensive benefits package from your first date of employment
- 3 weeks of paid vacation
Sound like you? If this opportunity speaks to you, we want to meet you! As part of the interview process, you will be required to complete a math test
The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range: 39,900/39 900 - 65,100/65 100
Job Category: Underwriting - Group
Posting End Date: 26/07/2019