FUTURE OPPORTUNITY - Java Web Application Developer I
Sun Life is focused on identifying, attracting and hiring talented and diverse individuals. We are currently building a pool of candidates for future opportunities for Java Web Application Developer I. If you are interested in being considered for a future opportunity, please apply and we will contact you to discuss new positions when they become available.
The Web Application Developer will be an entry level member of a team that provides a variety of web and mobile based application development and maintenance, and will utilize his/ her keen interest, enthusiasm and experience to help deliver cost-effective and timely solutions in the eBusiness, Mobile and Collaboration team. This role will work specifically on the Individual line of business, based out of Waterloo.
- Participate in the coding, unit-testing, implementation and support of web, mobile and collaboration applications technologies in a heterogeneous technology environment
- Develops an understanding of the business and technical needs of a project
- Identifies gaps in their own knowledge and actively seeks out assistance from senior team members in order to effectively deliver high quality solutions and services in a timely and efficient manner
- Ensure that solutions meet both business and technical requirements, including performance, maintainability and stability
- Work with third party and offshore shore teams as needed
- Manage or coordinate small to medium projects from initiation through planning, requirements, construction to implementation and post-implementation reviews
- Support implementations with occasional weekend and evening work.
- Knowledge and understanding of the complete Sun Life SDLC
- Customer and results focused - able to understand and act based on their needs
- Analysis and problem solving - ability to breakdown business and requirements into more detail in order to create a Development Plan and Unit test Plan
- Teamwork - ability to work collaboratively with others (technical and non-technical partners or team members)
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) - ability to express ideas, thoughts and questions so that it can be understood by various audiences and meets the customers' needs
- Self-motivated and service-oriented, a self-starter
- Good organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to quickly ramp-up on new technologies or systems
Technical Skills and qualifications:
- Must Have: strong technical skills, with at least 1-2 years experience in web application development using some or all of the following technologies - HTML, CSS, Microsoft ASPX/.NET, Java, JSP, Spring, WebLogic, Eclipse IDE, Oracle Database and UNIX environments
- The ideal candidate will have complimentary Microsoft (ASP.Net) and JSP development experience
- Good understanding of web based applications and client server technologies
- Nice to have: Experience with some/several of the following: Computer Associates SiteMinder., Mobile application development experience, HTML5, Open Text Vignette, Lotus Connections, SharePoint, Atlassian Confluence, Siebel CRM, NFC
- University degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Successful candidates must complete Reliability Screening under the Government of Canada Security Policy and be granted "Reliability Status" as a result of the screening
Enterprise Services, Working better together.
Our teams are dedicated to providing the services and technology our business partners need to help customers achieve lifetime financial security. Through innovation and collaboration, we're striving to continually find new and better ways to bring value to Sun Life. Enterprise Services has employees in Canada, Ireland, the U.S. and Asia. We partner closely with groups and individuals throughout Sun Life Financial to provide products and services that deliver business value.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.