Actuarial Analyst - Model Vetting & Analytics
At Sun Life, we work together, share common values and encourage growth and achievement. We offer many career paths that attract a wide variety of talent and skills. Follow a path that lets your talents shine.
The position reports to a Director, Model Vetting & Analytics. The role will require you to review and validate various models used by Sun Life Financial across different functions. There will be opportunities and exposure to a wide variety of actuarial functions, as well as high profile projects such as IFRS17, LICAT, and Advanced Analytics. Successful candidates must be technically strong, a quick learner, and be able to apply your financial and actuarial knowledge and modeling skills effectively and creatively. Strong time management and communication skills are essential due to tight regulatory and internal business requirements and model production processes.
What will you do? â€‹
- Conduct technical reviews and validations of actuarial models used by Sun Life Financial
- Applying expert judgement on the appropriateness and “fit-for-purpose” of actuarial models
- Communicate the model review results to stakeholders and model owners from across the company
- Interact with model owners and model developers on discussing and resolving model issues
- Develop alternative or benchmark models as necessary for independent assessment of model risk
- Conduct quality assessments of validations performed outside of the Model Vetting & Analytics team
- Assist with ongoing projects such as IFRS17 implementation and development of advanced analytics models
What do you need to succeed?
- Strong knowledge in Actuarial Valuation, Pricing, and other actuarial processes, preferably with experience in the said fields.
- Familiarity and experience with actuarial valuation systems (e.g. AXIS, PathWise, ALFA, ATLAS, MoSes)
- Ability to prototype models and methodologies on a computer system platform
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and with multiple priorities
- Critical thinking, and excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to explain complex actuarial and financial modeling techniques in a simple and concise way
- Ability to work independently and in cross-functional team settings
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Knowledge on programming in R, VBA, or Python is an asset
- Familiarity with IFRS17 or financial engineering is an asset
- 2+ Years of experience in an actuarial field, preferably with exposure to modelling or model review
- Actuarial designation, at least Associate of the SOA or CIA.
- Combined financial and insurance risk experience is a definite asset.
What’s in it for you?
- Working together, sharing common values and encouraging growth & achievement
- Flexible Benefits from the day you join to meet the needs of you and your family
Competitive salary and bonus structure influenced by market range data
â€‹The Base Pay range is for the primary location for which the job is posted. It may vary depending on the work location of the successful candidate or other factors. In addition to Base Pay, eligible Sun Life employees participate in various incentive plans, payment under which is discretionary and subject to individual and company performance. Certain sales focused roles have sales incentive plans based on individual or group sales results.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range: 55,000/55 000 - 90,800/90 800
Job Category: Actuarial
Posting End Date: 16/08/2019