Member Services Support Staff
Position Title: Member Services Support Staff
Reports To: Senior Coordinator, Member Services
Position Type: Full-time permanent
Start Date: October 26, 2018
Compensation: Starting Wage $34,320.00 (union grid)
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday
Unionized: OPSEU Local 557
This is a unionized position within the organization. You will provide front-line services to students, College personnel and external guests calling and visiting the Student Association offices. On the phone and in person you will provide superior customer service while responding to inquiries, greeting visitors, providing referrals, giving directions, answering questions and disseminating information. You may also provide administrative support to the full-time staff by undertaking tasks such as typing, data-entry, faxing, photocopying, assembling packages, phone-calls and taking appointments.
Nature and Scope of the Position:
- Independent and self-directed work is required, relying on current policies and procedures, past and current practices and a clear understanding of the mandate of the Student Association and this position.
- This position interacts with a wide range of individuals, including College Management and Staff, Student Association full and part time staff, and the general student population. Often complex situations cause challenges in communication and difficulties in interactions. Productive and professional relationships must be maintained in all circumstances.
- The Student Association operates on multiple campuses, creating unique challenges in communications and interactions with colleagues and supervised staff. The incumbent will be required to travel between campuses, and to operate at a satellite office on occasion.
- As this is a fast paced environment, you must be a great people person and a consensus builder; great at conflict resolution and poses’ time management, superior organizational and communication skills
General Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
- Provide superior customer service to Students, College personnel and External Guests at all times.
- Provide administrative support to full-time staff such as typing, data-entry, faxing, photocopying, assembling packages, phone-calls and taking appointments.
- Must be familiar with and adhere to the SA Staff HR manual and all SA Guidelines, Policies and Procedures.
- Managing file and database systems.
- Receiving and documenting student information.
- Ensure that the SA Front Office resources and referral materials are maintained and up-to-date for all SA Front Offices.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge and processes about the SA Health and Dental Plans.
- All practical and administrative tasks associated with the administration of the SA Health and Dental Plan.
- Maintain the offices in a highly orderly manner; organize reception area, supplies, storage cabinets; have forms and supplies in stock and readily available at all times.
- Troubleshoot benefit scenarios by utilizing plan information when dealing with students.
- Support the Sr. Coordinator of Member Services in the adjudication of individual claims appeals, in conference with consultant and carrier representatives
- Review and summarize miscellaneous reports and documents; prepare background documents and outgoing mail as necessary.
- Work with fellow Front Office Support Staff to ensure consistency of services between offices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain exceptional attendance and regular hours of work
- Establish and maintain a positive, professional and interactive working relationship SA Staff and Board, the College, External and Internal Clients
- Completes tasks on time and with minimal errors
- Works well independently as well as in a team
- Ensure all relevant Policies & Procedures are up to date and are being adhered to by all staff & students
- Readily available and supportive to staff, student directors and our membership
- Accepts feedback well and takes measures to improve performance
- A post-secondary degree, diploma, or equivalent is required.
- An outgoing, positive and friendly personality.
- First-rate verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to multitask, take initiative and work independently.
- Excellent Computer skills – MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Previous working experience as an Administrative Assistant or similar.
- Comprehensive knowledge of student rights, issues and accessibility to post-secondary education.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to navigate complex situations and difficult interactions with grace, patience and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, coordinate, organize and maintain records of information over time.
- Attention to detail; good record keeping and filing skills.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested and qualified applicants can submit their cover letter and resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line:
Please note: Interviews for applicants may take place on during the duration of the position posting
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. The Student Association of George Brown College invites and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including persons of Aboriginal ancestry, members of visible minority groups, persons with disabilities, women, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and any marginalized groups.
Mission Statement: We are the Students of George Brown College, committed to supporting each other in the struggle for student rights, the pursuit of quality education and the provision of services in a safe, accessible and equitable environment.
Commitment to Equity: The Student Association is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from among those groups of individuals that are traditionally underrepresented to apply.