Prospect Research Officer
Job Posting # J0119-1240
Full Time Prospect Research Officer
Southlake Regional Health Centre Foundation
As per scale
POSTED: February 4, 2019 PLEASE APPLY BY: February 15, 2019
Southlake Regional Health Centre
Located in the heart of York Region, Southlake is a full-service hospital with a regional, clinically advanced focus. As a regionally designated site, Southlake is responsible for developing and providing advanced levels of care to the more than one million people who reside in York Region, Simcoe County, and as far north as Muskoka. Advanced, specialty services include: arthritis care, cancer care, cardiac care, cataract surgery, child and adolescent eating disorders, mental health services for children, paediatrics and perinatal care, and thoracic surgery. Southlake is proud to have a team of over 3,000 employees, 580 physicians, and more than 900 volunteers. Combined with our commitment to provide the best possible care to patients, our goal is to make Southlake synonymous with healthcare excellence.
Southlake Regional Health Centre Foundation
Since the inception of Southlake Foundation in 1980, over $100 million dollars has been raised in support of Southlake Regional Health Centre. Working with members of the community, hundreds of volunteers, the Southlake Family and our incredible donors, Southlake Foundation will continue to support life-saving medical equipment, infrastructure upgrades and expansions, patient programs and staff education, all for the goal of transforming the lives of patients and families, close to home.
Under the leadership of a new CEO, Southlake Foundation is setting the stage for important fundraising growth to support the patients and families who rely on Southlake for excellent care.
Are you naturally curious and passionate about healthcare philanthropy? Are you looking for an opportunity to stretch your start-up skills to develop the research function of a dynamic, growth focussed, forward thinking foundation led by a progressive CEO who is also a former AFP fundraising professional of the year?
Southlake Regional Health Centre Foundation has an exciting, organization building opportunity for the right individual to advance their career as our Prospect Research Officer, while helping to bring world-class healthcare close to home for residents of York and South Simcoe Regions.
Reporting to the Vice President, Major Gifts and Campaign, the Prospect Research Officer, will be responsible for developing and leading the prospect research and pipeline management function of the Major Gifts Program. A key member of the Major Gifts Team, this role provides strategic and actionable information to drive donor development efforts to meet revenue goals while ensuring active pipeline management through monitoring, analysis, and reporting. The Research Officer would support a Major Gifts Team of six in addition to needs of our CEO and Philanthropy Cabinet of leadership volunteers.
You will be responsible for:
Prospect Research and Analysis (40%)
- Using a broad spectrum of sources, research, organize and evaluate the financial capacity and philanthropic interest and affinity of potential donors and leadership volunteers
- Prepare concise yet thorough, well-written confidential prospect research briefs, profiles and reports to support the Major Gift Team in donor development
- Complete special ad-hoc research projects to support donor development and fundraising strategy
- Conduct ongoing media scanning to monitor relevant news, people, events, issues, trends and within and beyond our communities that impact our fundraising strategies to provide timely, actionable information and insights
Prospect Identification (30%)
- Conceptualize, develop and implement proactive prospecting methodologies to identify potential major gift donors
- Proactively identify and rate major gift prospects using internal information sources and leads (i.e. signature events) and external sources of publicly available information
- Develop and manage prospect coordination (clearance) process to support the Major Gifts Team and leadership volunteers
Pipeline Management (20%)
- Support development and maintenance of pipeline metrics and benchmarks
- Monitor the major gifts pipeline to support active management
- Prepare and analyze reports on pipeline status and review results with the Major Gifts Team
- Review and analyze results to support forecasting and budget development
- Collaborate with VP, Finance and Operations to support data and reporting requirements
Prospect and Pipeline Administration (10%)
- Track and report on research KPIs
- Create and maintain research, pipeline tools and templates as required
- Manage confidential information in an ethical manner and ensure privacy standards are maintained
- Enter and maintain research and prospect information in Raiser’s Edge
- Review, maintain and make recommendations on prospect research tools, subscriptions and services
- Act as a leader for database integrity and data entry on the Major Gifts Team
- Maintain an awareness of best practices in prospect research, management and pipeline development through ongoing professional development and networking
Qualifications and Experience
- Passionate about healthcare philanthropy and inspired to apply a laser like focus to major gift fundraising as part of a dedicated, donor centered team
- An entrepreneurial thinker and organization builder, comfortable with start-up, process development, and pursuing new opportunities
- Naturally curious to surface leads, opportunities, ideas, forge connections and identify trends
- Highly adaptable and able to prioritize and work comfortably in a fast‐paced environment
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field. Masters of Library and Information Science ideal.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant research experience in a not-for-profit organization to advance major gift fundraising capacity, previous experience in an institutional (i.e. Hospital Foundation) setting an asset
- Understanding of major gift operations and business practices
- Understanding of prospect research techniques and demonstrated experience in using a broad spectrum of sources to identify and evaluate prospects to support strategy formulation and decision making at all stages of the pipeline
- Exceptional initiative, strategic thinking, analytical and problem solving skills required to surface, analyze, synthesize and interpret data to make connections for actionable insight
- Demonstrated experience in prospect management including prospect identification, tracking, clearance and general pipeline analysis
- Experience with the implementation and management of data analytics techniques and reporting related to pipeline development and management
- Ability to work independently to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Professional maturity and ability to manage confidential information and exercise good judgement
- Excellent communication, organizational and administrative skills with an attention to detail
- Proficient use of Raiser’s Edge, Microsoft Office and its applications, internet and research sources and databases
If you have the qualifications, commitment and curiosity to excel as our Prospect Research Officer, we would like to hear from you. It is an exciting time to be at Southlake. Join a progressive organization on the upward swing of a growth curve and make a difference for our patients and their families.
Southlake Foundation offers a competitive compensation package, including a benefits package that with a defined-benefit pension program. Remuneration will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
If interested, please e-mail: