R-069276 Junior Estimator (Open)
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is one of the leading engineering and construction groups in the world and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices in over 50 countries, SNC-Lavalin's approximately 40,000 employees provide EPC and EPCM services to clients in a variety of industry sectors, including oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, environment and water, infrastructure and power. SNC-Lavalin can also combine these services with its financing and operations and maintenance capabilities to provide complete end-to-end project solutions.
Division or Project Summary
Our power experience represents approximately over 413,000 MW, 114,000 km of transmission and distribution lines and 2,500 substations. Currently SNC-Lavalin’s Power, Renewables, and Life Sciences Group has an exciting opportunity for a Junior Estimator to provide support on high voltage power transmission line and substation projects.
Based out of the Burnaby office, the Junior Estimator will be responsible for providing support primarily to the Lead Estimator but also the Project Management and Services team in general. The successful candidate possesses the competencies and aptitude in order to handle the responsibilities outlined below, combined with a demonstrated ability to multitask, collaborate and develop creative solutions to complex problems. This is an entry-level position suited to a new graduate or motivated individual looking to cultivate a career in an estimating environment.
- Provide support to the Lead Estimator in establishing and reviewing scope of work documents and generating comprehensive cost estimates for proposals, projects, and change notices;
- Assist with the preparation of various cost estimate reports, proposals and basis of estimates;
- Liaise with various departments such as engineering, project management, project controls, procurement, and construction in order to gather estimating input and assist with identification of project deliverables and requirements;
- Assist with preparation of multi-discipline material take offs from various engineering drawings to generate bill of materials;
- Research and get quotes on cost for all necessary labour and materials from subcontractors, venders and suppliers;
- Aid in development and planning of project Work Breakdown Structures (WBS);
- Participate in project risk workshops and assist in determining project risks and contingency by performing @Risk Monte-Carlo simulation analyses;
- Develop estimation forms and templates and maintain historical data for benchmarking purposes;
- Ensure and perform quality control on estimating packages for client submission;
- Maintain daily project estimate logs;
- Provide estimating technical and project planning support and input to other groups as required;
- Analyze various processes, systems and templates, and develop/incorporate improvements as necessary;
- Recommends new approaches and ideas to drive continuous improvement within the Estimating department;
- Organizing and attending project meetings while preparing minutes of meetings; documenting and following up on important actions and decisions from meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (engineering, business or construction management) is preferred;
- Highly advanced MS Excel and Word skills;
- Flexible with the ability to work well under pressure in order to manage multiple priorities with tight deadlines;
- Excellent communication, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Efficient with acute attention to detail;
- Proactive nature, particularly with regards to process improvement;
- An interest in a career in Estimation in an engineering environment;
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment.
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a fully integrated professional services and project management company with offices around the world dedicated to engineering a better future for our planet and its people. We create sustainable solutions that connect people, technology and data to design, deliver and operate the most complex projects. We deploy global capabilities locally to our clients and deliver unique end-to-end services across the whole life cycle of an asset including consulting, advisory & environmental services, intelligent networks & cybersecurity, design & engineering, procurement, project & construction management, operations & maintenance, decommissioning and capital. – and delivered to clients in key strategic sectors such as Engineering Services, Nuclear, Operations & Maintenance and Capital. News and information are available at snclavalin.com or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.