R-068835 Geoscientist-in-Training or Engineer-in-Training (Open)
Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin Inc. is a global engineering and construction firm with offices across Canada, in over 35 other countries around the world and currently working in approximately 100 countries. We are recruiting the best and the brightest: people who are truly passionate about what they do. This is your chance to showcase your talents and skills by joining our project teams worldwide. Open the door to a world of opportunities: www.snclavalin.com.
We are currently seeking a Geoscientist-in-Training or Engineer-in-Training to join SNC-Lavalin’s Geoscience & Materials (G&M) team in Saskatchewan, reporting to the Geotechnical Team Lead. In this role, you will be responsible for supporting SNCâ€‘Lavalin’s G&M team on a variety of projects for various clients, primarily within the province of Saskatchewan. The ideal candidate is an emerging professional within the industry with a working knowledge of soils and typical construction practices within the region, and a desire to expand their technical skillset. The position will be based out of either the Regina or Saskatoon office (dependent upon the preference of the Successful Candidate).
Our G&M staff work closely with other SNC-Lavalin professionals in the fields of environmental assessment, contaminated sites, civil engineering, and related disciplines. You will participate on multiâ€‘disciplinary teams and projects and may be expected to cross-train somewhat in other disciplines to diversify your expertise and knowledge.
Your experience shall demonstrate the ability to apply practical knowledge, teamwork, and decisionâ€‘making aptitude commitment as well as commitment to excellent health & safety practices. SNCâ€‘Lavalin requires you to have high levels of ethics, integrity and commitment to diversity and inclusiveness. You shall possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as being organized and detail oriented.
You will demonstrate an ability to motivate yourself in the absence of day-to-day direct supervision, setting and prioritizing tasks. You must have the ability to apply the ideas of other professionals in your field as well as making suggestions to improve the overall quality of work.
How will you contribute to the team?
To perform this role successfully, the candidate will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Coordination and execution of field programs, including intrusive investigations such as drilling and test pitting.
- Complete installation of geotechnical instrumentation including standpipe piezometers, vibrating wire piezometers, and slope inclinometers.
- Supervision of subcontractors and subconsultants during project execution.
- Preparation of technical reports, including documentation of field activities and methods; evaluation and interpretation of field observations, laboratory analytical data, geological/ hydrogeological conditions; and preparation of conclusions and recommendations.
- Maintaining current knowledge of applicable provincial and federal environmental regulations and technical guidance.
- Communicate effectively with other staff within the G&M team.
- Contribute to the development of competitive proposals and work plans.
- Understand materials testing objectives to support geotechnical investigation and design recommendations.
- Provide guidance and troubleshooting for quality control testing and performance of earthworks such as structural fill compaction and excavations.
Some projects and sites may be in other parts of the province, and you may be required to travel for site inspections, site investigations and construction projects.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in geotechnical engineering, geoscience, or science.
- Eligible for registration with APEGS as either an Engineer-in-Training or Geoscientist-in-Training.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant industry experience, since graduation, in geotechnical or civil related services.
- Proven experience in field project execution, supervision and coordination of subcontractors, data management, data review and interpretation, technical report writing.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) combined with positive teamâ€‘oriented attitude.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Valid Canadian driver’s license with a clean driver abstract.
- Currently resides in the Regina or Saskatoon area.
- Must be able and willing to travel for project work away from the home office.
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (i.e.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
You think that a career in our team could match your profile, submit your application online now!
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds, and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion, or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a fully integrated professional services and project management company with offices around the world dedicated to engineering a better future for our planet and its people. We create sustainable solutions that connect people, technology, and data to design, deliver and operate the most complex projects. We deploy global capabilities locally to our clients and deliver unique end-to-end services across the whole life cycle of an asset including consulting, advisory & environmental services, intelligent networks & cybersecurity, design & engineering, procurement, project & construction management, operations & maintenance, decommissioning and capital. – and delivered to clients in key strategic sectors such as Engineering Services, Nuclear, Operations & Maintenance and Capital. News and information are available at snclavalin.com or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.