Environmental Scientist (Junior)
Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin provides cutting-edge engineering, procurement, construction and financing solutions to projects in more than 100 countries around the world. From the Canadian Arctic to the Southern African region and Australasia, our multicultural workforce is driven by a fierce pride in their work and a pioneering vision.
SNC-Lavalin is truly a global leader in its field and has been chosen to design and build some of the most prestigious projects in the world.
The Environment & Geoscience business unit of SNC-Lavalin Inc. (SNC-Lavalin) is a rapidly growing full-service consulting firm that is dedicated to responding to the changing needs of our clients. We are committed to providing solutions driven environmental services to assist clients in planning, managing and conducting their projects. Our growing organization is seeking like-minded individuals to join our Contaminated Site Assessment, Remediation and Reclamation team.
We have a fast-paced and dynamic work environment, and our team is committed to providing solution driven environmental services to help our clients in planning, managing and conducting their projects. Our growing organization needs motivated people to help us continue to grow, while maintaining the quality results our clients have come to expect.
With the above vision in mind, SNC-Lavalin is looking for career-oriented, junior-level project staff in our Calgary office.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Junior Environmental Scientists/Technologists are required to assist with the completion of fundamental tasks related to Phase I, II, and III Environmental Site Assessments. Other technical responsibilities may include assistance with report preparation for peer review.
- Work locations will depend on where project needs arise (i.e. locations in and around Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, or British Columbia) so candidates must be willing to undertake field work year-round and travel throughout Western Canada, at times for extended periods (weeks).
- To perform this role successfully, the candidate will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Assistance with historical data review and subsequent site inspections.
- Assistance with groundwater monitoring and sampling.
- Assistance with surface water sampling.
- Assistance with soil vapor sampling.
- Assistance with surface soil sampling.
- Assistance with drilling investigations.
- Assistance with remedial excavations.
- Photographic and written documentation of site activities.
- Communication with on-site supervisors and the Project Managers.
- The Junior Risk Assessor responsibilities include supporting the risk team by:
- Completing screening level risk assessments or components of screening level or detailed risk assessments including:
- Problem Formulation (contaminant of potential concern screening, receptor screening, exposure pathway analysis)
- Exposure Assessment (determining exposure point concentrations, exposure calculations)
- Toxicity Assessment/Effects Assessment
- Risk Characterization
- Writing effective proposals and reports
- Communicating complex scientific material to a wide variety of audiences
What will you contribute?
- Diploma or Degree from a program with relevant subject matter.
- A general understanding of groundwater monitoring and sampling techniques, soil descriptions and terminology, and quality assurance / quality control is considered an asset.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well in a team environment.
- Candidates must possess a Valid Class 5 Full driver’s license and able to meet vehicle rental requirements.
What do we offer at SNC-Lavalin?
- At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy good compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes.
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible benefits.
- Defined contribution pension plan in which SNC-Lavalin contributes.
- Work equipment provided according to the season (boot, bib, helmet, gloves, etc.).
- Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP).
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities.
- A safe and healthy work environment.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire candidates with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a fully integrated professional services and project management company with offices around the world. SNC-Lavalin connects people, technology and data to help shape and deliver world-leading concepts and projects, while offering comprehensive innovative solutions across the asset lifecycle. Our expertise is wide-ranging — consulting & advisory, intelligent networks & cybersecurity, design & engineering, procurement, project & construction management, operations & maintenance, decommissioning and sustaining capital – and delivered to clients in four strategic sectors: EDPM (engineering, design and project management), Infrastructure, Nuclear and Resources, supported by Capital. People. Drive. Results. www.snclavalin.com