Community Support Worker
Join Skylark in building a socially responsible and growth focused support team
Community Support Worker
LOCATION: Various (Toronto and Brampton area)
POSITION TYPE: Relief/Casual (flexible hours, one year contract)
The Community Support Worker (CSW) will be working with the Community Resource Coordinators and Team Leads of Skylark Children, Youth & Families. The CSW will be assigned to support and supervise children and young adults with complex special needs in a variety of settings. The CSW will draw upon his/her knowledge and experience to support other professionals and families to provide a high quality of life and excellent programming for clients.
Shifts: Morning, afternoon, evening, awake and asleep overnight (varies)
Working Conditions: Group home, community, family homes, semi-independent living environments – some independent work, working one on one with clients in a variety of settings.
Pay Range: $19.60 – $22.00/hour
- Supporting skill acquisition, teaching and supporting with difficult/challenging behaviours
- Implement individualized treatment and behavioural support plans for the youth in collaboration with Community Consulting Resource Coordinator, Case Facilitators, consultants, other staff members, and parents/guardians
- Provide crisis intervention and implement client safety plans as well as provide support to other staff as required
- Maintain and follow protocols, plans and instruction as prescribed
- Maintain complete and confidential paperwork as required.
- Diploma in Behavioural Science with an Autism Specialization, Child & Youth Worker diploma, Developmental Service Worker, Social Service Worker, Personal Support Worker or a degree / diploma in a closely related field combined with sound knowledge of diagnostic and treatment theories, methodologies and practices as they relate to individuals with autism, FASD and other developmental disabilities. Must possess an ability to apply theory to practice
- Knowledge of ABA/IBI & BT and the ability to provide a broad range of therapeutic intervention to residents as well as knowledge and skill in the areas of crisis intervention (CPI)
- Computer Literacy including: Microsoft Office, Internet navigational skills, accurate database entry, and continuously developing technology proficiency
- Valid and current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Valid and current Crisis Intervention Training (CPI Preferred)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, organizational and administrative skills as well as effective interpersonal skills.
- Satisfactory clearance under the Police Reference Check program
- Medical clearance in accordance with Skylark Children, Youth & Families policy on pre-employment medicals
- Smartphone with data capabilities is an asset
- Vehicle and eligibility to transport clients an asset.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants are invited to submit both their cover letter and resume in only PDF or Microsoft word format to CRSComm@skylarkyouth.org.
Please quote: Community Support Worker – November in the subject line. Please refrain from pasting the cover letter to the body of the email.
Skylark is strongly committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of the populations we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including applicants from all cultures, racialized communities, abilities, diverse sexual and gender identities and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free.
We ask applicants to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting the Human Resources Department at (416) 482-0081 ext.277. Human Resources will work together with the hiring committee to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation for the selection process which will enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.